Backwards Roses?

Decorating By rharris524 Updated 22 May 2009 , 3:45pm by cakedout

rharris524 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 19

I'm mostly self taught when it comes to cake decorating and I wanted to get better, so I signed up for the Wilton cake decorating classes. Anyhow, I apparently turn my rose nail the wrong way (CW instead of CCW, I'm right handed). My instructor complemented me on my roses and I think that they look good but my instructor keeps trying make me turn my nail the opposite way...does it really matter? Why does it make a difference?

18 replies
bisbqueenb Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 19

If it works your way...do it your way! It is not HOW you get there...but the end result that counts! If you like your roses...fine....if you have issues with them go ahead and TRY it the other way and see what suits you the best. There are a lot of ways to do things...you just have to find the best for you. I CAN'T for the life of me make a good rose on a rose nail, but hand me a dowel stick and I can pipe them all day and they look great!

TexasSugar Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 19

As a WMI I do point out and try to get my students to turn their nail CCW instead of clock wise. Usually turning the nail the wrong way makes it harder on my students though since you are often dragging that tip through what you piping.

If someone just does it alot better CW I don't push. Though I do tell them that my job is to teach them the Wilton way. They can always do what they want in their kitchen, but if they do decide later on they want to become an WMI then they need to know how to do it the Wilton way.

If you are completely happy with it your way, then do it that way. The WMI is just trying to be helpful, I'm sure. icon_smile.gif

rharris524 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 19

Thanks! I understand that my instructor is teaching me the Wilton approved method and hence, she wants me to turn the nail CCW. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some glaring issue that would at some point come up and bite me in the butt for doing it the 'wrong' way.

Also, how do you do it on a dowel? Is it the same method, more or less, except with a dowel instead of a nail or is it all together different?

CakesbyCindi Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 19

This sounds oddly familiar... I am ambidexterous (sp) I also decorate right handed but turn my nail as if left handed. It works for me is all I can say. I am still perfecting my roses but you would never know to look at them that I do it differently.

juleebug Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 19

I turn my nail the "wrong" way too. It's the only way that works for me. They look HORRIBLE if I do them the other way. Like bisbqueenb said it's the end result that counts.

crazygravy Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 19

ya'll are way better that I am. When i turn CCW or CW they both turn out like cabbages. I CANNOT for the life of me make a good rose. I bet I've been through about 6 double batches of icing recipes. I. Cannot. Get. It.

There, I feel better now!!!

JaimeAnn Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygravy

ya'll are way better that I am. When i turn CCW or CW they both turn out like cabbages. I CANNOT for the life of me make a good rose. I bet I've been through about 6 double batches of icing recipes. I. Cannot. Get. It.

There, I feel better now!!!

I have heard that the Dowel method is much better for people who can't do them on a flower nail. You may want to try it. I think there are some videos on YouTube on how to do them.

Whatever works for you is great. Like TexasSugar said if you ever wanted to teach a Wilton class you would have to use their exact method. Other than that whatever it takes to make a good rose!

bisbqueenb Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 19

Roses on Dowel sticks are easy! here is the video:

I like using the plastic paint brush handles after I remove the brush tip as it is washable and a good size for my roses. Also the rose lifter from Wilton can be replaced with a small scissor that you use the tip to remove the rose from the stick, place it on your cake and close the scissor as you pull it out from under the rose.

Another thing you can use is a soda straw cut in about 4" lengths...and you leave the rose on the straw to dry then you can insert the straw part into the side of a cake for cascading the flowers.

Cakepro Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:54am
post #10 of 19

If your roses look good with you turning the nail opposite of how a right-hander shoulod be turning, that's totally fine. Just be aware that for other flowers piped on the flower nail, if you cannot turn your nail counter-clockwise because turning it clockwise is too ingrained in you, you will have to buy the leftie petal tips for those particular flowers (violet, drop flowers, another one or two I can't recall right now).

sahrow Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 19

I've only taken the class 3 with Wilton. My instructor suggested that I become an instructor since I'm a lefty. She wanted to work with me, I think. *lol* I said it probably wouldn't work because I was trained a different way than Wilton. I showed her several of the techniques I use, and they are definitely not Wilton. *lol* You deifinitely learn differently when you're in a kitchen classroom standing at big stainless tables! My stuff looks pretty much the same, but I have trouble doing some things the wilton way. She ended up agreeing with me.

I'm a lefty... and I turn my nail ccw... I'm ambidextrous, so I just held my hands as if I was doing a right handed rose... and I would turn it CW. Maybe part of it is how you hold your bag. Do you hold the tip toward you or away from you? If it points toward you, it makes sense to turn cw. I haven't learned roses through wilton, but my guess is that you are supposed to hold the bag with the tip away from you?? I was taught to have it pointed at an angle toward me.

Wilton instructors... which way is the way you teach to hold the bag for roses? tip toward or away?

Nyree Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 19

I am a lefty and remember my Wilton instructor saying it would be difficult to teach me because she had to show me to do certain things in a mirror image. I was extremely frustrated because I felt my flowers and borders would never look the way they were suppose to. I am thankful to my instructor because she never let me give up.

But the more I practiced the more comfortable I became with doing it my way. I think finding your groove is important, and just practicing helps.

shadowgypsie Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 19

I show them both ways to do the rose because I learned to do the rose both ways. It helps greatly when I am teaching left handers.

mcollins Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 19

I turn my nails CW. Matter of fact, I don't think I could do it CCW, seems odd to me. I don't do the best roses but they are decent. I say whatever works for you, not sure why it would really matter for a rose.

Heck, I may have to try this when I get home just to try the CCW. I may be able to make beautiful roses and don't even know it.

TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #15 of 19

CakePro brings up a good point about turning the flower nail for other flowers.

I actually draw arrows on my student's flower nails in Lesson 2 and send them home that night with 'homework'. Their homework is to practice turning the flower nail so they feel more comfortable doing it when they are piping. icon_smile.gif

The Wilton way to hold the bag is so the bag is at a 4:30 position on the flower nail. Basicly if you divided the flower nail in 1/4ths it would be in the bottom right 1/4th.

I've taught many of lefties in my years. Mirror image is the best way to do it I think, but I have also learned how to do the rose and several of the flowers in C2 left handed. The don't look as good as they ones with my right, but it often helps my students to see it done.

icer101 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:15am
post #16 of 19

i also taught myself to pipe with my left hand.. so i could help my lefties.. i have to keep up the practice.. so it won,t hurt my hand.. this helps them alot.

shebaben Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:23am
post #17 of 19

Crazy Gravy - "CABBAGES"!!!!! That's a perfect disgusting description for what I get when I make "roses" too!!!!!

sahrow Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

The Wilton way to hold the bag is so the bag is at a 4:30 position on the flower nail. Basicly if you divided the flower nail in 1/4ths it would be in the bottom right 1/4th.

aaahh... I hold my bag at about a 2:00 position when piping roses.
I can't imagine holding the bag at 4:30, but it does explain why the nail would need turned the opposite direction. The icing comes out of the tip on a different side when the bag/ hand position changes. That makes total sense now.

cakedout Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:45pm
post #19 of 19

It has been my experience in the 20 years that I have been teaching, that if someone is having just a bear of a time with their roses, I will suggest doing it the opposite way: CW. Many times the student discovers that it is easier to pipe that way! icon_biggrin.gif

That's how i do them- CW. Of course, thanks to having gone thru the WMI training, I can now do them both ways very easily, so I have no problems teaching lefties. icon_smile.gif

And "cabbages" usually result because:
-petals are being piped on top of petals, rather than onto the mound.
-petals are piped too long and 'straight', rather than short and curved.
-petals are being piped too high;up to the height of the row above (creating a wide, flat-topped cabbage)instead of a normal height that brings it just below the row of petals above.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%