Another Article....(Sigh)...what Are You Gonna Do!?

Business By ccr03 Updated 21 May 2009 , 6:26pm by sarahpierce

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
19 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 20

Why didn't you reply to her question on her site?

She asked: What are your thoughts? Would you consider a grocery store cake? Why or why not?

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 20

There's nothing wrong with a grocery store cake if that's what you can afford and/or like. There is obviously a demand for them since the grocery stores are busy. It may just not be our cup of tea because we pour blood sweat and tears into our cakes.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 20

I can't believe she thought that $4 per serving was too much. What a deal!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 20

I didn't comment b/c I hardly comment on any board. This is pretty mcuh the only one.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 20

I dont see an option to leave a comment because I have a thought...I'd like to inform her....or better yet just ask if she didn't mind having a "not so fresh" cake served at her wedding? Did it matter whether or not it was from scratch or not....apparently not.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 20

Some people don't care...They're not my customers, but they do exist. One coordinator that I know had to talk the mother of one bride out of having Chick-Fil-A cater the reception! You can bet that she got her cake at Costco, too.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 20

The thing is there are a lot of people who feel the grocery store bought cakes are great, that's their cup of tea, not everyone loves cake,the same reason not everyone loves alcohol or cigarettes, so it's their choice.What I hate is people that appreciate custom cakes now wanting them at grocery store prices.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 20

That article is from January of '08.... I doubt that you could answer it.....

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 20

uuuh hmm, the same author wrote another article promoting a cake designer, Lori, whose prices start at $12 a serving! icon_lol.gif http://www.aisledash.com/bloggers/kristen-seymour/

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 20

I have to admit, I like the taste of Costco cakes. While I prefer the taste of my own cakes, I wouldn't be embarrassed to serve a Costco cake to my family and friends.

Personally, I would never spend hundreds of dollars on a cake, but I do appreciate the time, effort and artistry that goes into creating custom cakes, and believe they are worth every penny a cake artist can get. Luckily everyone isn't as cheap as I am LOL.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 20

Me either. I have to admit that some Sams club cakes tastes GREAT and so is the strawberry shortcake from Food for Less. Not sure about your Sam's Club but ours has some great tasting cakes. I've also tasted cakes from high end cafes and bakeries and I have to say that some tastes great but what makes it better is how they are presented.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:12am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Some people don't care...They're not my customers, but they do exist. One coordinator that I know had to talk the mother of one bride out of having Chick-Fil-A cater the reception! You can bet that she got her cake at Costco, too.

Hey Chick-fil-a DID cater my reception...LOL! We had the chicken finger sandwiches tray, cake, punch and champagne. That was all I could afford. I designed my wedding cake and bought all the ingredients, my mentor made the cake for me as a wedding gift, and I made the grooms cake. My entire wedding honeymoon included cost me $2500! I had to pay for it all myself! What a waste of $2500, I think of so much more I could have done with that money other than marry that piece of crap, no good SOB I walked down the aisle to .... icon_lol.gif

If that is all they can afford more power to them. I wish I had had a grocery store cake because the one my mentor made was inedible! The grooms cake went in 5 minutes flat. We didn't even get any!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:42am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Quote:

Hey Chick-fil-a DID cater my reception...LOL!
If that is all they can afford more power to them.

The thing is, they were having the reception at a really nice venue, and a very expensive one at that. Come to think of it, they might have been out of money after paying for the site! icon_lol.gif

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #15 of 20

I used to work for a shoprite grocery store when i first started decorating and i have to say i do like the taste of there cakes. They are FROZEN (i can hear all of you saying ewwwww) but it wasnt that bad. i think costco might even use the same brand ALLLEN. But if thats what you can afford there great personally i prefer people who wanna spend the $$$$$ on my cakes now but its what you can spend.

Sweetmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetmaker Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #16 of 20

Interesting article. I work in a grocery store and I wouldn't recommend the wedding cake actually.
1. it is baked at a warehouse and frozen.
2. it takes 30 days to order because you have to wait for the delivery to your store so it is frozen for how long?
3. do you like that particular store's decorator? Some stores require decorating skills some just send the employee out for one day's training, then expect you to just do it. What if the cake is ordered for the day that the "good" decorator is off and the "stand in" has to do your cake?

I wouldn't be so confident in grocery store's decorating abilities unless I was acquainted with the decorator.

In my store alone there are 3 people that can decorate, me, the current bakery manager and the book keeper. We sent out one clerk to get training but he can only do cupcakes right now and his writing skills are really bad. He will have to practice a lot so it would be a while before he is able to do most birthday cakes well. So if we are scheduled off and he is the only decorator there then you are getting what you get. For the longest time I was the only decorator and the bakery manager filled in when I was off. She doesn't have time to do just the cakes.

The cakes that we offer look so nice in the book from bakery craft but I personally would rather have the show piece for my wedding done by a professional not an amateur.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Quote:

Hey Chick-fil-a DID cater my reception...LOL! We had the chicken finger sandwiches tray, cake, punch and champagne. That was all I could afford. I designed my wedding cake and bought all the ingredients, my mentor made the cake for me as a wedding gift, and I made the grooms cake. My entire wedding honeymoon included cost me $2500! I had to pay for it all myself! What a waste of $2500, I think of so much more I could have done with that money other than marry that piece of crap, no good SOB I walked down the aisle to .... icon_lol.gif

If that is all they can afford more power to them. I wish I had had a grocery store cake because the one my mentor made was inedible! The grooms cake went in 5 minutes flat. We didn't even get any!

I'm sorry but this made me laugh right out loud (the piece of crap part). Good thing you didn't go into debt over him!

Some people do like the taste and if that's what you can afford, fine. I don't like how she made it sound that the wedding cake is so frivolous and and a silly expense. Let's face it, there are lots of silly expenses when it comes to weddings. The cake should be looked at (IMO) like the catering and flowers combined. It is a centerpiece as well as feeding your guests one of the best parts of the meal! But then again, I also didn't like her bikini reference. I keep my bikinis for years so they are well worth the expense of a dress I may wear only once. Her logic just doesn't make sense to me.

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:49pm
post #18 of 20

i chose to have a walmart wedding cake when i got married since my mom never enjoyed a wedding where she had made the cake. we got lucky - it was 3 layers on the styro columns w/ wht on wht chantilly lace pattern, we added flowers leftover from the bouquets. and people raved about the taste! i think it was because the walmart had just opened the month before and this was the first wedding cake they had done.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:00pm
post #19 of 20

Interestingly, our Publix grocery store charges right at $4.00 per person, so most people aren't gaining anything. They also charge a delivery and setup fee which adds to the cost. They charge $5.00 for fondant covered cakes and extra for sugar art (which they purchase from the web). It doesn't add up to savings for most cakes.

Most people like the taste of the grocery store cake because that's what they have grown up eating. Most just haven't had a good scratch cake...or even a commercial doctored mix cake.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #20 of 20

First off we also did our whole wedding for $2500, and it was perfect! I'm very frugile and down to earth. We just wanted to be married. With that being said, my cake was crap! My spiteful aunt made it as a "gift" . She dropped the cake off and never returned to the wedding! She was mad because I invited her ex (my uncle) and his wonderful new wife icon_biggrin.gif . I was urged not to make my own cake because we tried to do everything ourselves. So for our 5th anniversary (next year) I'm going to make our dream cake.

What I have learned is most people I know don't really care about the cake and it ends up being an after thought. this is hard for us to imagine because it is our passion. Just like I really don't care what kind of fish or how many my dad catches, but this is his passion.

As far as frozen cakes, don't most of us freeze our cakes before decorating? Granted it's only for a day or two, but frozen just the same.

Either way, cake is just cake to a lot of people, but that's why I don't talk to them about it. I instead get to talk to my cake buddies here.

(wiping the tear from my eye) *sniff*

((((((((((group hug))))))))))))

Sorry I'm very emotional this week icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%