Dummy Cake

Decorating By ninatat Updated 21 May 2009 , 3:01am by ninatat

ninatat Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all, i bought 3 layers, do you use thick or medium consistancy to frost the cake and can you use them over again. oh and when you stack your cakes if you put the normal amount frosting on the top it will sink right, do you just decorate around it. i'm just going to play around with it, but i told myself i can't do it until i DETRASH my guest room, why does everything end up there? hmmmm no guests/ LOL Thanks all

3 replies
campbelland Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:53am
post #2 of 4

I frost my dummy cakes the same as for a real cake with med thick buttercream and smooth when crusted with paper towel. I have used straight pins to hold them together to, that works well. Im not sure what you mean about the sink part? They are fun to work with and practice on and yes you can use them over. Just scrap off old icing and wash in sink with hot soapy water. Sandy

indydebi Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:24am
post #3 of 4

I think what she means is if you ice the dummy normally (1/2" give or take thickness), then when she puts the next tier stacked on top, would the top tier "sink" into the 1/2" of icing? Did I get that right?

If that's what you mean ..... what I do on dummies is just ice the outer edge that will be showing, and just put a token amount in the middle (it's a dummy ...why waste the excess icing?). There enough in place to glue the tiers together, but no bulging or sinking.

ninatat Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:01am
post #4 of 4

ok thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%