French Rolling Pin Good? Or???

Decorating By bisbqueenb Updated 23 May 2009 , 12:04pm by cylstrial

bisbqueenb Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 7

Was looking for a new pin and happened on the French Rolling Pin. Any one using one for fondant? Are they a good choice, easy to work with???? Thought I'd see what CC'ers thought of them before ordering one. No way will I find one locally so there is no chance to have a hands on inspection, but I was intrigued by the tapered styling.

6 replies
bebea Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 7

i tried it yesterday, as a matter of fact! it worked really well for getting the thickness all even, but i did start out w/ my marble pin since it is heavier, just to get it going.

cylstrial Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 7

I have often wondered if people like using rolling pins without handles. Are they easier to work with?

PinkZiab Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 7

I prefer a plain wooden french rolling pin (non-tapered). I can't stand the type with handles. I use mine for everything (fondant, pastry, pie crust... you name it). Although when I have an extra large piece of fondant to roll I just use PVC pipe icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:07am
post #6 of 7

Well, as someone who has exclusively used a 20" silicone pin for the last decade and who recently blew a disc out in her back, I bought the 18" commercial aluminum rolling pin that SugarShack recommends, and WOW ~ it is almost effortless to roll out fondant now.

I bought mine from for $38 but someone else here said that Sam's sells them for under $20 online. You have to have a Sam's membership though.

cylstrial Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks PinkZiab and Cakepro! That is good info to have!! Thanks for the time to answer my question about the handles Pink!

Quote by @%username% on %date%