Help... Fondant Decorations Melting

Decorating By lexi55033 Updated 22 May 2009 , 9:07pm by TexasSugar

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 5

Recently I made cupcakes that I decorated with little fondant cutout hearts and circles that I wanted to stand up out of the frosting. I let the hearts dry overnight so they were hard when I added them. The next morning, they were all wilted and had melted and wouldn't "stand up". Is there anyway to prevent this? I have some graduation cupcakes coming up that they want fondant cutout monograms, but now I'm not so sure that's a great idea.

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 5

What kind of frosting did you use? I never have trouble with my fondant decorations softening on my buttercream, but I made some for a friend and even the the bow that I had added tylose to and coated with confectioner's glaze ended up laying down when she put them on her cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 5

Did you put them in a cake carrier or an airtight container? I have found if you do that the fondant will wilt or melt from the moister in the buttercream.

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 5

I bet that was it. I put them in one of those clamshell package containers that hold a dozen cupcakes like you buy them in at the grocery store. I just used my regular buttercream (the one with the Dream Whip).

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 5

I made some gum paste roses once, and after I still had them two weeks later decided to use them on my mom's birthday cake. I closed them up in a cake carrier with the cake and two hours later all the petals were flopped down. I know they were good and dry since they were made at least two weeks before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%