Cake Mix And Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By SassySweetz Updated 20 May 2009 , 6:27pm by cakes22

SassySweetz Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 3

I've only made 3 cake for family members. I'm wanting to make a cake for my childs school for the end of the year party. In the past I've only used box cake mix and Wilton Buttercream icing.

I'm wanting a good recipe for a "to die for" home made cake mix and a really good buttercream icing.

Any suggestions? Also can I use Wilton colors on MMF?

After baking my cakes what should I do to even them up and make them look pefect before icing them?

I'm using a few Wilton products that I got at the craft store. (ie, cake pans, cake level etc.)

2 replies
DimplesDelights Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 3

You should use a cake leveler or a long knife will work too. i just use a long knife and for large cakes i have used dental floss. Some say to refrigerate of freeze the cake before you try to level also. I started out using box cakes too, i just added in my own recipe so they couldnt tell. I like the recipes in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I have modified them to my likeing though. I have to say that i have always used homemade icing, but my friends go for the ready made. So its up to you what ever you like and helps you get the cake done on time.

cakes22 Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 3

Have you checked the recipe section? There are a ton of recipes in there WASC (white almond sour cream) is a favourite, and there are doctored recipes that use a boxed mixed, just tweaked.
As for b/c, there are a lot of options and flavours.

I use serious_cakes b/c recipe and indydebi's too. I have also used serious_cakes yellow cake recipe. Just search around, and try some out on family and friends.

Just a note though, you may want to check with the school regarding allergies.

I have used Wilton colours in mmf. I just knead it in.

You can use your cake leveler just make sure that the wire is in the same position at each end. I would then flip them over so you are icing the bottom that hasn't been leveled off, and you have a smooth surface with less crumbs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%