It's Black...really?

Business By cfao Updated 21 May 2009 , 12:22pm by cfao

cfao Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 16

I have a bride who is having a 3 tier cake with a simple black ribbon around each cake base. Today I actually received a swatch of her color "black" with a note that her color is "your standard black". Um, yes, that is what black usually looks like. I have in the past received swatches for a certain shade of blue, red, coral, but black???

15 replies
SugarLover2 Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 16

lol, that is too funny. she's probably so stressed over the details of everything she doesn't even have her head on straight.

Kay_NL Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 16

LOL!!!

Tellis12 Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 16

Well, at least she's organized!

adven68 Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 16

That's very funny, but I can understand her concern. Did you ever put 2 black pieces of clothing together? Depending on the fabric, they can seem to be different colors.

Also, black-colored fondant, for example, is very different from black-PAINTED fondant. (the painted one being much deeper).

color always varieds with texture...it's how the light reflects, by definition.

Maria_Campos Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

That's very funny, but I can understand her concern. Did you ever put 2 black pieces of clothing together? Depending on the fabric, they can seem to be different colors.

Also, black-colored fondant, for example, is very different from black-PAINTED fondant. (the painted one being much deeper).

color always varieds with texture...it's how the light reflects, by definition.

Very true and even if you have two different types of fondant and mix them both with black food coloring it never comes out the same shade of black. I had this happen to me once, ran out of Satin Ice and was forced to send my DH out to get me some (gasp) wilton fondant from the nearest Wal-mart (double gasp), everything looked the same except, when we saw the pictures of the cake it was so clear that it was two distinctly different blacks!

ajjhmf Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 16

As weird as it maybe, black is usually 'based' in another color when it is dyed. I have several pieced of black clothing and if you lay them next to each other, you can see the differences. One is blue base, one might be red and so on. It's very subtle but can be seen in certain lights.

As long as you us the same ribbon around each tier, it will probab;y be fine.

cfao Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 16

Actually, she chose a cake from my web site that is shown with a wide black satin ribbon and said she wanted that exact cake, don't change a thing, it's perfect!

cylstrial Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 16

I can see how it would matter if it was clothing or something...but just a black ribbon on a cake doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. I mean I would think that the black of the ribbon would be close enough to match the black of the wedding, since it's not going to be anywhere else on the cake.

BCo Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:49pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfao

Actually, she chose a cake from my web site that is shown with a wide black satin ribbon and said she wanted that exact cake, don't change a thing, it's perfect!

Just wanted to say that your website is great and I LOVE the wall of shame - good for you!!! Did you ever get anything settled with Jen & Jason....I'm curious now!! icon_lol.gif

snowflake12 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 16

The wall of shame was GREAT. LOVE IT.

JaimeAnn Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 16

Your Wall of Shame is FREAKIN AWESOME! Well not awesome that you Have to have one because of deadbeats but awesome because you are calling them out on it!!

I think I would have kicked Jen & Jason's A$$ by now !!!!

bakermommy4 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #13 of 16

Now thats dottin your I's and crossin your t's huh!!

BCo Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:49pm
post #14 of 16

The small cake shop that I go to hangs the bad checks on the wall so everyone can see them!! LOL

CCCTina Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:55am
post #15 of 16

Ditto on the wall of shame. That is just great--sad that you have to have it---but great anyway!

cfao Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:22pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I thought it was kind of funny she sent a generic piece of black ribbon and then put a note in that it is just your standard black. She must be overwhelmed with too many details and doing something like this, she is spending time doing unneccessary things rather than enjoying the last weeks of her engagement.

I look at people who write bad checks and won't make good on them as nothing more than shoplifters. They go to a business and take a product without paying for it. I have a judgement against them, but I have never been paid. They had bought one of my packages and walked out with quite a bit in accessories, but I never ended up being out the wedding cake. They actually went to a new bakery that had just opened a mile from me and got them to do the cake last minute and paid them with a check from that same account, which had been closed by that time. The other bakery found out a couple weeks later when the bank returned the check to them. They actually went in and told her I had cancelled them 3 days prior because a huge order came in that I didn't want to pass on and had given her $ back and left her high & dry. I asked her why she didn't call to confirm that story and she said her husband told her to call, but she didn't know what to say to me. I guess he had told her that they were new and I have been in business almost 20 years with a perfect reputation, this bride's story just didn't ring true to him that I would do something like that. I filed small claims, so I have a judgement and that's it. The other bakery filed criminal and just got a payment last month, not a lot, but at least something. If every business did a wall of shame, you would see the bad checks and shoplifting decline a lot.

fyi, I was really after the payment for the accessories that had been taken, but decided to see what a court would say about them booking my services and stringing me along. I know in my area if you book a hall and cancell, they do not return anything unless they can rebook that time frame and then they still keep your deposit. If you read their emails, they promised clearing this check right up until that week. At that point, I could not rebook anyone in their spot, the court agreed and upheld my contract with them and made a judgement for the entire amount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%