How Soon Should I...

Decorating By msc2006 Updated 20 May 2009 , 5:08pm by Bluehue

msc2006 Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 6

My daughter's b-day is Sunday, is it okay if I make the cakes today and stick them in the freezer and then take them out on Sat. when I want to decorate? I'm also going to attempt to torte for the first time, I want to use a chocolate ganace (sp?) for the filling - so do I torte and put the filling in BEFORE I freeze or after they are frozen and defrosted?

Also, I'm making a bunch of fondant and gumpaste figures to go in this cake, how far in advance can I or should I do those?

Thanks everyone for all your help, all of your advice and tips make this site a life saver for a novice baker like me!!

5 replies
imamommy1205 Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 6

You can definitely freeze your cakes until you are ready to decorate them. I would say not to fill them before you freeze them, but I might be wrong about that. And I have no idea about the gumpaste figures lol.

pattigunter Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 6

The gumpaste and fondant figures should be done now so that they have enough time to dry. You dont want dropping figures on your cake! You can mix powdered dusts with lemon flavor or vodka to paint them.

hails Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 6

Hi there,
I think it is fine to bake and freeze today, I personally would wait to fill them. As far as the figures go I just made a cake for my daughter's party. I made the accents three days before. I am not an expert but that has worked for me each time. Good luck, happy baking and Happy Birthday to your daughter.

veronica970206 Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 6

I have never froze any of my cakes, but I would think it would be better to torte them with a filling when you are ready to decorate. As far as the figures, work on them today. I agree with the others, you do not want to have those figures falling part and getting stressed out since you are on a timeline to make something of that nature. I have never made figures out of fondant before, other than flowers, lol. I wish you all the best and I hope your Daughter has an awesome birthday!!!!!

Bluehue Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 6

If you are going to torte them with chocolate ganache then yes you can make, torte and then freeze them.
Just wrap well in a few layers of gladwrap/clingfilm and then into a large freezer type bag.
Chocoalte ganache can be put in the freezer for 3 months.

If you wish - make now - torte now and cover with chocolate ganache - then just cover with two layers of gladwrap / clingfilm - and keep in the fridge.
The cake will stay moist - that way you won't have to wait for it to thaw out.....then cover with fondant say Friday - and place decorations on either friday or saturday -

As pattigunter said - make your decorations/figurines now - so as they have time to dry.

Happy baking
Bluehue... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%