Fondant And Pine Tree Help

Decorating By kchart Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 6:04pm by brookelashea

kchart Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,
I've been decorating for a few years and have recently starting using fondant. I've noticed that when the fondant dries it is sometimes cracking. Do I need to add anything to the fondant to make that not happen? I'm using satin ice fondant. Also, I have a big wedding cake coming up for my cousin. It's going to be a 4 tier outdoorsy type cake....waterfall, moss, rocks and pine trees. Any suggestions or guides on how to make pine trees (either out of fondant or icing). Well, thanks for the help.

11 replies
margaretb Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 12

Pine trees -- I like the ice cream cone method. Get cone shaped ones (not cup). You can cut them to desired size with a serrated knife. I used green icing and a star tip and just put stars all over them. I think I held them by the tip and then finished the very top after I pressed them onto the cake (it was in the fall, so I don't remember exactly). I have only posted two photos, so just click on my photos if you want to see.

Kitagrl Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 12

I like the star tip method for pine trees too...for smaller ones I just put a pretzel stick in the cake and then do small pull out stars around it tapering to the top.

TantalizingTreats Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 12

Aine2 has a great tutorial for pine trees... and its really easy

iamelms Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 12

I made pine trees for an outdoors cake, and used the icecream cones as a base too, but instead of the star tip, I used the leaf tip #352 and they turned out really well

tiggerjo Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 12

I learned off from aine2 video. Very easy and quick. I did this over a month ago and it sits right here on my laptop. No cracking at all but have done some fondant work that does crack. I read on here that not starting with a seamless round ball will cause stress, therefore causing cracks.

kchart Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 12

thanks for the ideas. going to have to try that ice cream cone method! I read somewhere to add gumtex to fondant. anyone know what the benefit of it is?

kchart Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 12

anybody else have an idea????

margaretb Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:43am
post #9 of 12

Haven't done it, but adding gumtex to fondant is supposed to make it easier to work with for figures -- dries faster, won't sag as much (so stiffer, I guess). There is also something called tylose that does the same thing. I have never used that either, although I just ordered some that should get here next week. What I read was that you add something like 1/2 or a full tsp per about a pound of fondant. I also read a comment by someone who said they add a little at a time and keep kneading it in, and you will know when the consistency changes.

bizatchgirl Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:50am
post #10 of 12

When you are covering a cake, you just use plain fondant. You want it to stay soft. It has to be pliable but not really hold shape.

Gumtex, gumpaste, or tylose does several things to fondant. It dries it harder, faster. It makes it more moldable (is that a word?). It's hard to explain but a very exagerated way would be like comparing molding mash potatoes to molding cookie dough. It just somehow helps it hold it's shape better. It also allows you to roll the fondant very, very thin, like for flowers. For some reason without the gumpaste, you can't roll fondant out quite as thin.

kchart Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:16pm
post #11 of 12

wow, that's interesting. i'll have to pick some up at the store this week and give it a try. thank you!

brookelashea Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 12

Make sure your house is nice and cool..fondant is very tempermental..and I've noticed it cracks more easily if I dye it and then try to cover a cake with it..It's better to use plain white when completely covering the cake or buy your fondant pre-colored if you need a different base color than white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%