Nice Smooth Buttercream Icing

Decorating By hedwards41302 Updated 20 May 2009 , 2:55pm by Hayes77

hedwards41302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hedwards41302 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 6

Can someone give me the recipe to make a nice smooth(not too sweet), crusting buttercream icing. The icing that I use everyone likes the taste of but I would like for it to be smoother. This is the recipe that I use...

2 tablespoons of milk
1 cup of criso
1 tablespoon of merainge powder
4 cups of powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring

5 replies
kwanghui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwanghui Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 6

I think your recipe is fine, but suggest making a double batch. Are you using a KA mixer? When I make icing, it's usually 70-100 pounds at a time, then store it in buckets. When it comes time to ice the cake, put the icing in your mixing bowl to the top. The most important thing is to make sure the paddle is completely submerged in the frosting, except for the neck of it. Turn it on the lowest possible speed you have and let it go from 5-10 minutes. This will release all of the air bubbles and you will have a nice smooth frosting!

hedwards41302 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 6

No, I have a hand mixer. You think that could be the problem? I mix it for like 10 mins and its still not smooth and at times it tastes kind of gritty like. THanks for the info! icon_smile.gif

kwanghui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwanghui Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, I think that might be the problem. But...if you made a double batch, then poured both batches in one bowl, keep the beaters submerged on low, you might get it smooth. The beaters incorporate too much air into the frosting. My recipe is similar, powdered sugar icings tend to have a little grittiness, but if you mix it long enough, it takes it down quite a bit. Also, do you have a little popcorn salt in the recipe?

hedwards41302 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, I put a little salt in it but not much. I will have to invest in a good mixer I guess!! Thanks so much!! icon_biggrin.gif

Hayes77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hayes77 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 6

I think your recipe is fine too, but I like to use a recipe that calls for 1 stick of butter and a 1/2 stick of crisco. Everything else is pretty much the same. The butter just seems to help make it smoother in my opinion. Also, add all of your wet ingrediants with your crisco. That helps tame the powdered sugar too. icon_smile.gif I have used a hand mixer for the recipe and a stand mixer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%