How Do I Get A Good Black Color With My Icing?

Decorating By hedwards41302 Updated 20 May 2009 , 5:08pm by AZCakeGirl

hedwards41302 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 10

I never can get my black to turn out right on my icing. I have heard that you just keep adding black to it, but as everyone knows the Wilton black tastes awful is used to much. Can someone please help me!!

9 replies
Rosiepan Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 10

For fondant icing I always add brown first then add the black but it can still take a lot to get it really black. If it is for Buttercream I wouldn't know I'm afraid as I don't work with it.

bubblywhitewine Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 10

I used black colored powder when I make a abtch of icing and then to darken the hue I use super black gel coloring. I also let is set overnight.
Hope this helps.

debster Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 10

I use only Americolor Super Black it's tasteless and I take all my leftover icing put it in a bucket and keep adding some black jel. The longer it sits the blacker it gets. I've learned with Americolor that after it's on the cake it gets even blacker. I've had to back off on color a little cause it deepens on the cake. I have pictures of the color in my photos. It's worth ordering and the super red is the same. I use only Americolor red and black and yes I learned that from CC.

sadsmile Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 10

Yeah wilton stuff is yuck. Americolor is great. I just use a touch less water and sub in the color so the icing doesn't get to thin. It does take alot. It also stains teeth lips everything.. ew! I try not to use it but for accents. Black fondant stains a bit less as long as the color is really mixed in and not just painted on top. They do have witon spray color in black. Use it just like pray paint and it takes some finesse to do it good. You also have to shake the tar out of it before starting. it's really only good for a base coat as it is hard to control where the color goes.

cookiescookies Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 10

I use some cocoa powder first (if you don't mind having chocolate flavoured icing). I find starting with a brown base makes it much easier to achieve a black icing.

tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 10

Chefmaster takes very little, no bad taste and it's black instantly.

hedwards41302 Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 10

Where can I get that CHefMaster? Thanks for ur comments!!

tichay Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 10

you can also start with a chocolate based frosting and then add the black gel color to it -- I use Americolor and with this it doesn't take much to get black. And as stated above, it will darken as it sits (I usually mix up the black frosting needed a few days before so that it can do it's thing before I use it on the cake).

Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

AZCakeGirl Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tichay

you can also start with a chocolate based frosting and then add the black gel color to it -- I use Americolor and with this it doesn't take much to get black.

Ditto

Also, if you have an airbrush, you can just airbrush black onto the chocolate frosting as well. I've used both methods, they both work great & you have less black coloring to deal with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%