Cake More Moist

Baking By kay52178 Updated 22 May 2009 , 6:33pm by BakingJeannie

kay52178 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 9

I made this cake for my son's 2nd birthday. I really liked it, but want it to be a tad more moist. I'm thinking maybe some sour cream added to it? Any ideas?

3 cups Pillsbury SOFTASILK® Cake Flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla
4 large eggs

8 replies
idjitmom Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 9

More liquid might through off the liquid/dry balance enough to change the texture. If I want a more moist cake, I just add a small package of instant pudding in a complimentary flavor w/ the dry ingredients - works like a charm!

tiggerjo Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 9

I sometimes add a small jar of baby food fruit to a mix. A jar of junior carrots in a carrot cake mix is a wonderful thing!!!!

ThreeDGirlie Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 9

My moisest scratch recipes all have buttermilk or sour cream in them... I have read it's their acidity that does it, but I dn't know all of the science.

Maybe sub buttermilk or sour cream in place of the milk? That's what I would try...

JanH Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 9

Here's a link to the complete Raspberry Laced Vanilla cake recipe with reviews:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Raspberry-Laced-Vanilla-Cake-157863

If you want an extremely moist doctored cake mix recipe, either version (with or without oil) of the WASC cake in any flavor might work for you:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

kay52178 Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I have yet to try the WASC cake. I have the cake mix dr. cookbook and have made quite a few of them, but have not tried the WASC. I should!

I was just trying to come up with a scratch cake I liked. I never though of replacing some of the milk with the sour cream. Maybe I will try it! I generally do like the texture sour cream gives the cake.

BakingJeannie Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 9

I use the Moist Yellow Cake in Toba Garrett's book and add one small box of sugar-free pudding mix to dry ingredients and 2-tbsp oil to buttermilk. My cakes are always moist. The pudding works. In my pound cakes I stir 2 tbsp of oil in the batter before placing it in the oven. Works like a charm!

Cheers!

artscallion Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingJeannie

I use the Moist Yellow Cake in Toba Garrett's book and add one small box of sugar-free pudding mix to dry ingredients and 2-tbsp oil to buttermilk. My cakes are always moist. The pudding works. In my pound cakes I stir 2 tbsp of oil in the batter before placing it in the oven. Works like a charm!

Cheers!

I also love Toba's yellow cake! It has a really good moist texture. You can add 1/4 cup of mayo to any recipe and it will transform it without the added flavor/sugar of pudding mix...unless you want the added flavor of pudding icon_biggrin.gif

BakingJeannie Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 9

Mayo! The perfect emulsion of course. I will give it a try because it like adding extra oil and eggs. Thank you artscallion for posting that suggestion.

Cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%