My 1St Fondant Cake Attempt

Decorating By angeleyes5 Updated 21 May 2009 , 9:25am by Elise87

angeleyes5 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 12

Hello! I am going to attempt to make a fondant cake for the 1st time. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I should go about this? What would be a good design for a 1st attempt?

Thanks!

11 replies
cakeinthebox4U Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 12

What is the occasion? I'd say just use simple shape cutters that you have on hand, circles? flowers? Your best bet would be to search the galleries for the occasion you are doing the cake for or for the colour scheme and find one you feel comfortable doing. The galleries have EVERYTHING from simple designs to very elaborate. Good Luck!

angeleyes5 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 12

This cake is just for us. No special occasion. I want to do something very simple but pretty. Do you have any links for anything that would be simple for a 1st timer?

Nyree Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 12

If you are doing this just to get the feel of working with Fondant, I would suggest covering a round cake first. My first attempt working with Fondant was for one of my wilton classes and it was a square cake, a little tricky especially getting the corners.

But as with everything practice, practice, practice thumbs_up.gif . I hope your cake comes out great, and definitely post a picture up once your done.

mgwebb68 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 12

My first time using fondant I went really simple. I frosted the cake with buttercream. Then I used flower cutters to cut out different sizes and colors of flowers and put on the cake. It just gave me the chance to make a batch of fondant from scratch and then work with it. It was a good learning experience. I also learned that "sky blue" coloring is not what I call "sky blue". The cake was dubbed the "Smurf Cake". It was BLUE. But working with the fondant was a good learning experience and I had a lot of fun.

Just have fun with it and don't get frustrated. It's just frosting.

cakeinthebox4U Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 12

I would just try something like this to get a feel for the fondant.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-985023.html

(I am by no means an expert on fondant though - I've only done a few myself!)

SugarLover2 Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 12

My first fondant cake I used Wilton fondant. I can tell you that you have to roll it thick and it was pretty easy to apply, but man, did my arms hurt. It also tasted a lot like cardboard. Now I use Satin Ice and can say that it rolls a lot thinner and tastes better. My arms don't hurt either from rolling.

One big thing I learned was that after I placed the fondant on the cake in order to not have the "gathering" for lack of a better word around the bottom, gently pull the fondant down as you smooth around it. Then go over it with you smoother and trim around the bottom.

G_Cakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 12

best advice browse the galleries and check out what others have done...find a simple design and play with it.

I love working with fondant and have so much fun finding new and creative ways to use it.

Have fun and play with it, it's like play doh in a way cause you never know what your gonna do with it till you get it in your hands.

But I do agree with Nyree try a round cake first...enjoy and hope this helps!

angeleyes5 Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you for all of the great suggestions! Does fondant taste good? I am planning on using it over BC. I have not actually tasted fondant before.

Nyree Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 12

Fondant can taste great, depending if you make MMF, or you purchase some such as Satin Ice. Wilton brand is horrible and its very difficult to roll out (this is just my experience) Others may feel differently. Global Sugar Art has decent prices for their fondant, or if you want to go more economically you can make your own.

If I am not mistaken there is a recipe here for a MMF that works fantastic

mgwebb68 Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 12

MMF tastes pretty good, especially if you add some flavoring. Wilton's tastes like cardboard, and that's being nice. And it is hard to roll out. I've never bought another brand. I usually just make my own, it's messy, but it tastes the best. If you make Marshmallow Fondant (MMF) it pretty much tastes like marshmallows. It's not something that everyone likes, no matter what it tastes like. Some people will always peel it off the cake.

Elise87 Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:25am
post #12 of 12

hey i did my first fondant cake a month or 2 ago and i hadn't really done much decorating before that but i found the fondant pretty easy to work with.

My top tip is when putting the fondant decorations on the fondant cake you can just stick them on with water but also when you cut them let them sit for a bit so they stiffen up, that way when you pick them up to put on the cake they won't bend out of shape! that is unless of course they are on a curved surface...

i used mashmallow fondant because it tastes great and it's fun to make.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%