Make A Phantom Mask?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 21 May 2009 , 3:30am by yellobutterfly

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 8

For those of you who have made Phantom of the Opera cakes, I'm wondering the best way to make the mask? I was thinking I'd start with one of those white blank-face halloween masks, but can't find them at Party City because it's not Halloween! What did you use as a mold?

I did see a face mold at Hobby Lobby for clay or something, but it has smaller more pronounced features than your typical drama/halloween mask would.

Also, should I do this in gumpaste or a gumpaste/fondant mix, or something else?

7 replies
kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 8

I used a styrofoam head. (like what they display wigs with) You can get them pretty cheap. I think I paid about $8.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 8

I would buy a styrofoam wig head and then make the mask from gumpaste and use that as the former for the face.

yellobutterfly Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 8

ooohhh that's a great idea - will hobby lobby have styro wig heads, or if not where can I find one? that's such a great idea - thanks guys, I never thought of that!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 8

Is there a hair salon nearby? A wholesale store which sells hair products.Or check with a highschool who offers a Beauty Culture program.I bought mine off of Ebay for about $4.99

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:07am
post #6 of 8

I got a plastic mask at Michael's. It was near the boa's & costume making stuff.

spencersmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spencersmom98 Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:13am
post #7 of 8

Have you got a Sally Beauty Supply near you? They sell those styro heads.

yellobutterfly Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #8 of 8

Thanks Lisa and Spencersmom98 - we have a Michaels' and Sally's nearby, so those will be my best bet - no time for ebay, need it for May 30 cake icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%