For Those Who Stick Wires In Cakes

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 25 Jan 2019 , 5:11pm by SandraSmiley

Saffire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saffire Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:50pm
post #151 of 289

Hi, newbie to the forum here and still new to advanced decorating techniques though my partner and I LOVE pushing the envelope for cakes (our favorite reply is "oh, WOW, how'd you DO that?!")...

It seems most folks here are looking for wires to poke out as support and extension of flowers and spray affects from a cake... however, the straw thing won't work for using wire as armature to sculpt and build up modeled characters... honestly, we used a plastic coated floral wire to model up a 13" figurine for a cake a couple months ago, sculpting modeling chocolate to it and piping on details with royal icing. We also sculpted a fondant tree (was about 10" tall) molding the fondant to the same armature wire... We've also done figurine work using thin dowels, but that eliminates any way of making realistic poses.

What kind of wire would be recommended for this kind of application?

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:26pm
post #152 of 289

I cover my wire with thick fondant & yes it does leave a nice big hole, but so far i've been able to incorporate a piece of fondant over that.....I'm wondering about the straws now, that's new info for me

Thanks!!!

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:48pm
post #153 of 289

saffire, I've contacted a company that offers stainless steel wires (for jewlery use) inquiring if these could be considered food safe, waiting on their reply. Within the next 2-3 days I expect some news, if you want to pm me, would gladly share this information with you

Saffire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saffire Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:10pm
post #154 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_a_cake

saffire, I've contacted a company that offers stainless steel wires (for jewlery use) inquiring if these could be considered food safe, waiting on their reply. Within the next 2-3 days I expect some news, if you want to pm me, would gladly share this information with you

pm sent! and thank you again!

TreBoogie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TreBoogie Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:49pm
post #155 of 289

Wow, did not have a clue about the wires and floral tape. I'm so grateful for the post and this website. I'm a novice and just got into decorating with gumpaste about 3 months now.

daltonam Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:01am
post #156 of 289

Hey has anyone posted anything about Duff Goldman's products, that line sells "cake wires"

http://www.duff.com/products/uniquely-duff/duff-decorative-cake-wires

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:52am
post #157 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffire

Hi, newbie to the forum here and still new to advanced decorating techniques though my partner and I LOVE pushing the envelope for cakes (our favorite reply is "oh, WOW, how'd you DO that?!")...

It seems most folks here are looking for wires to poke out as support and extension of flowers and spray affects from a cake... however, the straw thing won't work for using wire as armature to sculpt and build up modeled characters... honestly, we used a plastic coated floral wire to model up a 13" figurine for a cake a couple months ago, sculpting modeling chocolate to it and piping on details with royal icing. We also sculpted a fondant tree (was about 10" tall) molding the fondant to the same armature wire... We've also done figurine work using thin dowels, but that eliminates any way of making realistic poses.

What kind of wire would be recommended for this kind of application?

I guess if you're using the wires for support inside decorations like figurines or trees then you're not sticking the wires into part of the cake that is intended to be eaten, which is the issue. The figurines/trees are not likely to be eaten and you can tell people they're decoration only anyway.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:06am
post #158 of 289

Duff Cake wires..... WONDERED THE EXACT SAME THING icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:00am
post #159 of 289

I just e mailed Duff to ask about safety issues with decorative wires

daltonam Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:14pm
post #160 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I just e mailed Duff to ask about safety issues with decorative wires

thanks icon_smile.gif

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:41pm
post #161 of 289

I would love to hear what he says.

madgeowens Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:43pm
post #162 of 289

The reply I received was the wires are food safe!

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:49pm
post #163 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

The reply I received was the wires are food safe!

Glad to hear that...I have some I bought and didn't know whether to use them after all the talk about wires.

But no explanation as to why they are food safe over other wires?

Thanks Madge for checking into it! thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:51pm
post #164 of 289

no, thats all they said....your welcome

wendalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalls Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm
post #165 of 289

I made my first sugarpaste flowers the otherday. I ahd no florist wires so I just straightened out a paperclip. Paperclips are made of galvanised steel.

Assume thats slightly better???

Ellyane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellyane Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:17pm
post #166 of 289

what about the wires sold by globalsugarart? are they food safe?

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:39pm
post #167 of 289

what gauge of wire would you use for gumpaste stars shooting out of a cake? what is the brand of wire that you use?

lizzy2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzy2011 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:02pm
post #168 of 289

Wow, thanks so very much for the info! I am a newbie to baking and just sent a cake out with a full bouquet of sugar paste sweet peas ALL on floral wire.....I had no idea! Will not do that again!

Tarina-rina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarina-rina Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:08am
post #169 of 289

I find that I like to put a wooden stick into the straws. sometimes my wooden sticks are too big. I discovered that using the red straws used for Ices with the little "spoon" at the bottom end work well for this situation. Just snip off the spoon with a scissor first. Have a great cake day! Tarina-rina

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:30am
post #170 of 289

Thanks for this post. Just the other day I wanted to know what I could use instead of wire to stick into cakes. I know not to use wire, and I have never heard of posy picks. Thanks for this thread.

Tarina-rina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarina-rina Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 7:35am
post #171 of 289

Hi there. when I put stars or other items on my cake that I want to stick straight up I use uncooked spaghetti! Good thing about that is although it is not cooked if a child gets it they can eat it and it would be OK.. If you use wire that has been discussed. If you use a toothpick they may stick themselves! Also spaghetti is thinner and not as visible. Also if you stick it into your gum paste before it fries it is very easy to break to size and easy to stick into the cake. Have a great cake day! icon_smile.gif

Peacock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peacock Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 10:04am
post #172 of 289

Thank you for this information, I never knew that and love the tips on the straws and icing sugar - very clever thumbs_up.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 12:43pm
post #173 of 289

I use coffee stirrers to stick my wire in and then stick it in the cake.

ginster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginster Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:52am
post #174 of 289

thank you for this info--I am a beginner cake decorator and have not wired flowers because I could not figure out how to put them on cake -I did not want to put wire into cake...I am going to try the straw method, sounds great.
Thank you again for posting this!

justkist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justkist Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:10pm
post #175 of 289

What about brands like Duff that are made and marketed SOLELY for the purpose of use in cake? There would be some serious liability issues if those were not made EXPLICITLY cake safe no?

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:22pm
post #176 of 289

The cake stores in England sell cake safe wires so we don't have this problem!

Aliaswoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliaswoman Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:23am
post #177 of 289

What are posey picks?

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 5:09pm
post #178 of 289

Hi! I read some of the posts, but didn't have time for 12 pages worth, so I'm sorry if this idea has already been put out there, but GLOVES!!!

Yesterday I needed to use a wire in my cake because the customer wanted a gravity defying umbrella icon_smile.gif. Sooo, I cut a finger off of a plastic food-safe glove! I slipped the wire inside it, and voila! Perfect!

The straw idea is great, too, but i had to double-bend the wire to make it sturdy enough to hold the umbrella, so it was too wide for a straw.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:53pm
post #179 of 289

A coffee stir straw would have been better. The finger from a glove remained in the cake after the client removed the wire. I can only hope that someone did not get that piece of cake only to discover a cut-off finger from a glove in it. If I discovered that in my piece of cake, I would not be happy!

If the wire is too loose inside the straw, simply pipe some royal icing or chocolate or candy melts in there to secure it....or try using the very narrow coffee stir straws.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:25pm
post #180 of 289

Wow! Great tips! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%