Crumbcoating

Decorating By SweetStuff221 Updated 20 May 2009 , 5:04am by txsteph

SweetStuff221 Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:20am
post #1 of 4

Will freezing a cut cake help with the crumbcoating? and if so how long do i freeze it, because i can forsee a problem. I am obviously new to decorating so need some advice

3 replies
CanadianCakin Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:56am
post #2 of 4

I've never crumbcoated a frozen cake before but I believe some people swear by it...I think it a matter of personal preference. For myself I ahve found the secret to the crumbcoat is VERY smooth icing. I often take some of the BC out and add some extra cream (the liquid whipping cream) to it to make it extra smooth. Works great for me!
HTH,
Ashley

Sassy74 Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #3 of 4

Sweetstuff, what do you mean by a cut cake? You mean you've cut the top to level the cake? I have also never frozen a cake before crumbcoating. I don't find that a room temp cake is difficult to crumbcoat, though. I use a medium consistency icing, but thinning is a good idea.

txsteph Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:04am
post #4 of 4

If you are talking about a carved cake (3D), I have frozen a cake, carved it, placed back in freezer for a bit, then crumb coated it & it does help, mainly with carving, but also with keeping it from flaking off while coating it. You shouldn't have to freeze it for more than 30 min or so. Make sure it is completely cooled before freezing it though. And it is much easier to crumb coat with a very smooth icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%