Tacky?

Business By RetiredNavyChief Updated 25 May 2009 , 2:25pm by CakesByJen2

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:34am
post #1 of 33

Is it tacky to put your business cards on the cake table?

32 replies
paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:37am
post #2 of 33

I do it, with a little guilt, and not so many, just for the brides that come to visit the venue before the weeding starts.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:40am
post #3 of 33

Or if you leave a cake box tape it to the top. But a couple shouldn't be a problem.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 33

I normally give some to one of the waitresses, and will sometimes leave a few behind the cake. That way, everyone doesn't see them, but if someone is really inspecting, they'll figure it out.

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 33

I always keep a supply of cards on hand, and usually the customer asks me if I brought any, and they ask me to put them on the table, which , of course, I do. I just explain I didnt want to be too forward, and they always say they'd be happy if I left some cards. I have had customers tell me to bring cards with me, when they place the order! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #6 of 33

If the venue staff is too busy to take a card, I'll leave 4-5 on the table behind the cake, tucked discreetly.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #7 of 33

I don't ever leave cards. I always have a few on hand if anyone asks for info while I'm delivering the cake, but after that they can ask the bride or MOB and get my name.

For b-day cakes, I always tape a card to the box.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:16am
post #8 of 33

If I leave a cake box behind, I'll leave cards there...or maybe a few underneath the board..but never in full view.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:36am
post #9 of 33

At a formal wedding reception. Never, ever would I leave a biz card. But both the caterer and venue staff will know who I am.

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #10 of 33

Yes, it is.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 33

I have to agree with Leahs and en-passant, it's tacky to just leave them. Try to find someone to leave them with, whether its the onsite coordinator, the head of the wait staff, or a member of the bridal party.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

At a formal wedding reception. Never, ever would I leave a biz card. But both the caterer and venue staff will know who I am.

I wouldn't either....if someone likes your work, they know where to ask about you.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #13 of 33

uh oh, now I know I am playing with the big boys...I have no business cards. Maybe someday, right now I just do it for fun and free to get the experience. If I had cards, I would not leave them on the table.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #14 of 33

I don't leave business cards either, but I do leave a cake box with my business sticker on it (for bringing home any extra cake). I also write a nice note on it to the bride and groom congratulating them on their day. It's a personal touch, and the venue won't use my box for someone else's event! icon_twisted.gif

indydebi Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

I wouldn't either....if someone likes your work, they know where to ask about you.

Never assume. I dropped off a cake and gave my cards to the venue person in the room. Thank god I left cards because I had forgotten the topper for the cake! They called me and I ran it over. Otherwise, THE VENUE had no idea who I was or how to get ahold of me. (There's always a first time to be in a venue) And I wont' assume the bride or the bride's mom thinks I'm so important that they carry my card with them on wedding day.

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:09pm
post #16 of 33

I've yet to do a wedding cake for someone other than family, but I probably wouldn't leave the cards on the table. I would leave some with the MOB and/or the venue. IF I did leave some on the table I would tuck them neatly into an envelope (just big enough for a few cards) and leave it tucked under the back of the cake.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:47pm
post #17 of 33

Speaking as an atendee, I would probably not take a card that was left tucked under the cake board or behind the cake. I might take from a fancy little card holder placed discretely to one side, because I would assume that the happy couple OK'd it.

I might be old fashioned on this front, but I would not take the cards because I would feel like....kind of like I was being spammed. I'm a word-of-mouth kind of person; I can't think that the bride and groom aren't going to remember the name of the baker they used if they asked, or at least know who will remember it. If I have the name, I don't need a business card, you know?

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:00pm
post #18 of 33

Good point icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

If I have the name, I don't need a business card, you know?

Under that illogical logic, we can all stop spending money on business cards. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:38pm
post #20 of 33

I never leave cards on the table. I think it is worse than tacky. A wedding isn't the place for advertisements. (I use to be in advertising) I try to always remember to bring cards and have passed them out to those who asked for them (other venders, guests who arrived early if the wedding was in the same room as reception, etc.) I was once told by a bride that I could leave cards on the table and I very sweetly declined and said that I didn't feel that that would be appropriate. JMHO

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:16pm
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

If I have the name, I don't need a business card, you know?

Under that illogical logic, we can all stop spending money on business cards. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

*shrug* I speak for myself, not anyone else. That's all I can do, in fairness. Other people demonstrably have different feelings from me on this issue.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #22 of 33

I don't see anything wrong with leaving a few in the box for the topper, or under the cake board, in the back where they are not visible, but can be found if someone is looking, or when they take the cake down and clean up.

On probably 75% of my deliveries, there was no one important around to leave cards with, usually just very low level, often non-English speaking, staff. Usually the head person who actually books the brides and gives them referrals doesn't work the actual reception, at least in my experience.

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:33am
post #23 of 33

I do, if it is a cookie or cupcake basket I tuck one inside. For wedding cakes I leave a few cards tucked discreetly by decor on the cake table. I have gotten orders from wedding displays. I don't leave an entire box, but just a couple of cards beside the cake plate.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #24 of 33

Yes, it is tacky. Someone's wedding is not the time or place for you to leave business cards. If they like you, the bride can recommend you.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:51am
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2

there was no one important around to leave cards with, usually just very low level, often non-English speaking, staff.

Wow, that sounded really mean. Everyone should be considered important, no matter what job they have. I'm sure you didn't mean to be offensive, but that was harsh.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:51am
post #26 of 33

I would never put one on a wedding cake table. I think it's fine to hand a few to the venue, wedding coordinator, or attach one to the box for leftover cake. Now...charity events I would leave my cards out.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:13am
post #27 of 33

As an attendee, I also find it tacky when I see business cards on or near the cake table. I would have been horrified if the bakery had left any on the table at my wedding. If your cake is good and people like it, they will find you.

I don't need a card to find a business. Nothing illogical about that.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:19am
post #28 of 33

Oh my gosh......... I would be so upset if I were looking at my wedding photos & all of a sudden noticed a business card sitting like an advertisement on my beautifully decorated cake table. I'm not being sarcastic at all - it would seriously ruin the whole image for me & I would never use that bakery again because they "flawed" my wedding pictures. I think it is very out of place & would look like my cake was being displayed at a bridal show rather than my wedding. That being said, if it is just tucked behind the cake out of view, I think that is ok. Personally though, I always just leave them with the venue. I also have a business sticker on all all my cake boxes so people will know who the cake came from once they pull the boxes out for leftovers.

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:32am
post #29 of 33

Is it logical to assume that the venue attendants know where the cake came from? If I didn't leave a card tucked behind a candle, flower, cake plate would they have my number to call me if an issue came up? I do make it a practice to have someone present to recieve the cake and sign for approval. It is frequently a maid of honor or mother but chances are they didn't order the cake from me and may not have my info. I wouldn't leave cards where they would ruin the display of the cake table, which is why I said i tuck a few behind the cake or decoration.

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:44am
post #30 of 33

How about leaving a ( sincere ) thank you to the Bride and Groom as we are sincerely thankful that they used our services.. maybe on the gift table ? not sure about where to leave it.... and tucking a business card into that card...not for them to pass around but to let them know that you sincerely appreciate their business... and leaving a great impression with the Bride and Groom could be your best form of advertisement...as people will be asking them who provided the Beautiful Cake!
Just a thought : ))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%