How To Make A Lid For A Cake

Decorating By tashistation Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 1:37am by tashistation

tashistation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashistation Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:22am
post #1 of 12

I'm making a cake that looks like a can of play-doh. I need to make a lid that will rest besides the play-doh (my inspiration comes from http://www.flickr.com/photos/17988233@N04/2170275509/)

Can someone walk me through the best way to make the lid? I want to make it tomorrow so it has time to dry thoroughly for Saturday delivery.

thank you!!

11 replies
paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 12

I can't see the photo

tashistation Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 12

let me try attaching it instead of linking...
LL

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #4 of 12

You could try placing fondant/gumpaste in a lid similar to what you want it to look like to dry. Or cover a cake circle.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:45am
post #5 of 12

How about gumpaste? I am working on a graduation cake and have made a background for a stage and a marquee from gumpaste. They dried very well (although fragile) and are very stiff.

kylekaitlyn Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 12

How about gumpaste? I am working on a graduation cake and have made a background for a stage and a marquee from gumpaste. They dried very well (although fragile) and are very stiff.

tashistation Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #7 of 12

I was thinking gum paste too... My first plan was to roll out gum paste and drape it over an inverted cake pan. But how to get the top part of the lid to appear sunken in?

Also, how to emboss the logo?? I'm totally at a loss.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:56am
post #8 of 12

I was just on another thread and it gave me a thought. Your idea about the cake pan could work as for the logo is it out or in, my kids are past the play-doh age. If it's out you could write on the cake pan with royal icing and when it's dry lay the fondant or gumpaste over it to take the form. HTH

kylekaitlyn Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:56am
post #9 of 12

Try thinking outside the box. Rather than trying to get the center to "sink in" why not build something around the outer edge of the cake pan to make that part raise up? As far as the logo, if you have access to a copier, you could copy the logo from a "real" lid, blow it up, trace it and use piping gel - just remember you will be working with a mirror image.

tashistation Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandykay

I was just on another thread and it gave me a thought. Your idea about the cake pan could work as for the logo is it out or in, my kids are past the play-doh age. If it's out you could write on the cake pan with royal icing and when it's dry lay the fondant or gumpaste over it to take the form. HTH

that's a great idea for getting the raised logo!

Maybe to get the sunken effect, I'll tape a piece of cardboard that is a bit higher than the pan height to the perimeter of the overturned cake pan. Then cover with gum paste.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:20am
post #11 of 12

[quote="tashistation"]But how to get the top part of the lid to appear sunken in?
quote]

What I would do is first make a thick disc of gumpaste and let dry. Then form a ring around it in gumpaste by gluing it around the esge of the dried gumpaste disc but not flush with the top. I would put the lid on a small cake circle on top of a a can of crisco or something (something smaller than the size of the gumpaste disc) then wrap the long rectangle around the cirumference of the disc protruding 1/8" higher than the disc. Does this make sense? Then the disc part would look sunken in. Good luck.

tashistation Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #12 of 12

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. In the end, I gave up on getting the sunken look and was just happy to have a lid that looked lid-like... Here's a picture of the completed cake. Still having problems with my fondant not being totally smooth. Sigh!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%