Please Help Me Decited This...

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 20 May 2009 , 4:02am by Tashablueyes

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 6

In a month I am going to do my first stacked cake and it is for a wedding icon_rolleyes.gif . I am very nervous already... but it will be for my friend's daughter, and they trust me with it (I am not sure...)
Anyway they wanted 3 tier of BC frosting, not fondant. I will assemble the cake on site, but can I assemble at home just to try how it sits, and then disassemble? I am worried, that I would destroy the BC finish with the cake plates. Thank you!!

5 replies
kwanghui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwanghui Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 6

This is how I assemble my wedding cakes:
1. Ice each layer and put in refer. until SOLID, like 3-4 hours
2. Place plates & columns in cakes and stack each tier while still cold
3. Place stacked/assembled cake back in fridge
4. Finish any other decor/border, put back in fridge
5. Deliver finished cake

I have NEVER had a cake settle, fall, bulge or anything doing it this way. Key is to keep the tiers cold while working with them. I didn't do this the first couple of cakes and had bulges and the buttercream was just a mess.

GOOD LUCK!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:48am
post #3 of 6

In a word no... it is hard taking cakes apart, BUT... if you use a sturdy support system like the single plate system you will be able to stack it at home and travel with it no problem. icon_smile.gif I transport 4 tiered cakes fully assembled all the time. Assembling on site is nerve wrecking... doing it at home the pressure's off and you can do the stacking with cold cakes and there's less chances of you mucking up your icing job. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:55am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

In a word no... it is hard taking cakes apart, BUT... if you use a sturdy support system like the single plate system you will be able to stack it at home and travel with it no problem. icon_smile.gif I transport 4 tiered cakes fully assembled all the time. Assembling on site is nerve wrecking... doing it at home the pressure's off and you can do the stacking with cold cakes and there's less chances of you mucking up your icing job. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Hoping not to sound stupid, but what is the single plate system? I know it is going to be something I know that I call by the wrong name. I agree stacking them there is nerve wracking.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:47am
post #5 of 6

The SPS is made by Bakery Crafts and it's a plate and pillar support system. Global Sugar Art is one place you can find it.. Oasis Supply also sells it.

icon_biggrin.gif

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:02am
post #6 of 6

Zlatka, just click on the SPS instructions sticky on the How Do I forum and the instructions are SUPER helpful.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%