Multi Tiered Dummy Cake

Decorating By His_snowflake Updated 20 May 2009 , 4:14am by jammjenks

His_snowflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
His_snowflake Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 4

My daughter wants a multi tiered cake for her birthday but it's way more cake than we need. I was thinking of doing the bottom layers (10, 12 and 14) as dummy cakes. I have never worked with dummy cakes before. I have two questions.

1. Will they be sturdy enough to hold up 8, 6, and 4 inch cakes?

2. What do I need to do to secure it all together? There are no pillars or separator plates between the tiers.

3 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:34am
post #2 of 4

I see them on different shows hammering dowel rods down thru them.......check you tube for a video showing tiered cakes maybe? Great question.

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:10am
post #3 of 4

My question is... are you gonna be transporting the cake? If not... Make the cakes as if they were two seperate cakes.. do your dummies and decorate as normal, they can be place on top of each other with no support needed, glue then together with royal icing or melted chocolate. Then decorate and stack you real cakes as you would normally, using some sort of support system... for your sizes, you should be able to just use dowels and cardboard/plastic cake plates between the layers. then place on the dummy cakes and secure with royal icing or melted chocolate.

if you are transporting I would transport them seperatly and then stack them in the same manner as above when you arrive at the venue. or use a stronger support system.

HTH
Charleen

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:14am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TantalizingTreats

My question is... are you gonna be transporting the cake? If not... Make the cakes as if they were two seperate cakes.. do your dummies and decorate as normal, they can be place on top of each other with no support needed, glue then together with royal icing or melted chocolate. Then decorate and stack you real cakes as you would normally, using some sort of support system... for your sizes, you should be able to just use dowels and cardboard/plastic cake plates between the layers. then place on the dummy cakes and secure with royal icing or melted chocolate.

HTH
Charleen

Yes, exactly as Charleen said. That's what I'd do anyway. No need to use any kind of supports in the dummy tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%