How Do I Do This?

Decorating By ChristianCakeBaker Updated 20 May 2009 , 7:57pm by Loucinda

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 14

I am doing this cake for my sis-in-law for her wedding. I forgot who it is done by, but she was browsing on CakeCentral and found this cake and fell in love with it! Sooo, I am stumped on how to attach the gumpaste butterflies. I'm scared to use icing b/c they might fall off. I have never had to attach butterflies like these before, so i need some help. I thought maybe wires, but the butterflies are so fragile- i dont know if i could do that. but here's the pic- and thanks SOOOO much for ya'lls input!!! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
mmelyss Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #2 of 14

I use gumpaste diluted in water with a brush.
You can use eggwhite, tylose disolved in water...
Hope it helps!

Rylan Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #3 of 14

I would guess using wires. The wires are probably attached during the process of making the butterflies so I don't think that should be a problem.

Good luck.

1234me Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #4 of 14

I just recently had to do a cake with butterflies attached like that - I used melted candy mets. They dry very quickly and I was surprised at how well they held! You could also use almond bark!

NoahLili Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:00am
post #5 of 14

Royal icing or melted candy melts.

Manna4 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #6 of 14

It looks to me this is a fondant covered cake... I'd attached the bf with melted chocolate coatings or royal icing. icon_smile.gif

jamiekwebb Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:06am
post #7 of 14

I would use RI

Frankyola Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #8 of 14
Originally Posted by NoahLili

Royal icing or melted candy melts.

Ditto candy melts!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

CanadianCakin Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:10am
post #9 of 14

I would use RI for sure...but probably because I ahve no experience with candy melts

jammjenks Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:16am
post #10 of 14

I'd use candy melts too.

bcake1960 Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #11 of 14

RI or candy melts RI if it is a warm day.. That is a beautiful cake!! Good luck! icon_wink.gif

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 14

so candy melts are found on the cake decorating isle? i think i've seen them. and i've never used RI, or candy melts. But i'll practice a little to see which one is best. But thanks to everyone who posted an answer! i made a few butterflies last night- and they are SO FRAGILE! it's going to be so nerve racking to try to get them on the cake without breaking them.

ninatat Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #13 of 14

That cake is beautiful, some where i read you can make a butterfly out of a heart shape

Loucinda Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:57pm
post #14 of 14

As a PP stated, make sure to use RI if it is going to be a hot day - the candy melts will MELT if it is hot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%