I Think I Just Screwed Up: Ina Garten Chocolate Cake

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 20 May 2009 , 2:37am by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 10

Oh please anyone who made Ina Garten's chocolate cake before please help! I read somewhere on the forums that it was a wonderful cake to try. Well, I just put it into the oven, and I guess I messed something up. The batter is soooooo thin, I cannot imagine it solidifying into any kind of workable cake. I checked and double checked the recipe and it looks like I did everything exactly as stated, but my goodness it was like pouring chocolate buttermilk into the pan! Did I mess it up or is it some kind of baking majic? Please help! Do I need to run to the store and get more ingredients for a different kind of choco cake?

9 replies
ptanyer Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 10

Can you post a link to exactly which chocolate cake of Ina's you made? I have a Collette Peters chocolate cake recipe which is very thin as well, but makes an absolutely wonderful cake. My family raves about it and asks for it all the time.

Post a link and let me look at the ingredients. Don't give up yet. How long has it been baking?

Pebbles1727 Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 10

Here it is, it's pretty much modified Hershey's can cake. It's been in the oven for about 20 minutes and looks warty on top for now, did not rise too much either... so no miracle so far.
What do ya think?

Pebbles1727 Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #4 of 10

Well, it's out of the oven and it looks strange.... I don't know how to explain it, but it surely does not look like any other cake I made before. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing. It's also very dark and it's for an 8 year olds birthday party...

ptanyer Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:09am
post #5 of 10

What is strange about it? Is it sticky on top?

I looked at the recipe and don't see anything unusual. I made her chocolate cupcake recipe this weekend that was on TV on Sunday and it was pretty liquid and didn't rise much at all. I didn't like it, but my family ate them and my boss seemed to be okay with it.

ptanyer Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:10am
post #6 of 10

Check out this website, it has a photo of the cakes while they are cooling on a rack. Does yours look like that?

giraffe11 Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:11am
post #7 of 10

My favorite chocolate cake in the world looks just like that going in.........thick chocolate water.......and doesn't have a super smooth top when you are done (you have to smooth it with a knife and frosting.....but it is fabulous and everyone raves! I don't think you should worry about it overly much. Try it and see.

Babycakes35 Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:13am
post #8 of 10

I make this cake ALL the time. It is a VERY runny batter. When it is done baking it should look like a dark chocolate cake. It is by far the best chocolate cake I have ever had. HTH

alliebear Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:16am
post #9 of 10

if you look a the comments one poster did say the batter was rather thin

Pebbles1727 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:37am
post #10 of 10

Thanks you all very much. I just leveled it to taste and see if it's usable or not and oh my! It's the best chocolate cake I've ever had, no comparison to any box or wasc modification. It is totally out of this world!!!!! I just made another half a recipe for additional layer and stuck it into the oven. Since it did not rise much, the two layers I have will not yeld the heigth I'm looking for. The only downside I see so far, it seems a little delicate, so not sure how it will stack, but I'm putting it in the fridge overnight and hopefully it will be a little easier to work with tomorrow morning. If you have not tried that recipe and looking for a chocolate cake, give it a try--it's absolutely wonderful! But be forwarned, the consistence of batter is about consistency of buttermilk.
Thanks again, P

Quote by @%username% on %date%