Flip Flops

Decorating By dreamdelights Updated 20 May 2009 , 12:57am by TTran

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 5

I am looking for instructions on how to make gumpaste flip flops. I would greatly appreciate any ideas. Thank you in advance

4 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 5

I made some for a beach cake that I did last summer. It's in my pix. I used fondant, but using gumpaste would be about the same, I would think.

I rolled out the fondant really thick-about 3/8 inch. I just made a template from one of my own flip flops to get the shape correct and then reduced it on a copier to fit the cake. I rolled the fondant over a rubber shelf mat to get the texture I wanted.

I cut out a small circle where the thong strap enters the shoe in the front and inserted a short column (about 1/2 inch)of fondant. I rolled out the fondant and cut a strip that "glued" to the column in the front of the shoe and then bent around to the sides. I cut a small slit int he sole of the flip flop and inserted the end of the strap.

I hope you can follow this. If you look at the picture, that might help.

Good luck.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #3 of 5

I just made some for a cake I made last week.
I layered 3 colors
cut out the shape out of paper first
layed it on the gumpaste layers
used an exacto knife to trace around the pattern
remove the pattern
cut out the shape
flipped the pice of paper over to get the opposite foot

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #4 of 5

if you look in my pictures under the picture of the tropical looking cake you will find pictures of the flip flops i made since i am having problems attaching them to the messages here

TTran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TTran Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 5

Check out my "flip flop princess cake". I made them and they are on top of the bottom layer. I free hand cut out the bottoms, made fondant straps and attached them with royal icing. I let the straps dry for a while on flower formers before I attached them.

Good luck! This was a super fun cake to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%