Fondant Tools

Decorating By caincakemaker Updated 20 May 2009 , 5:28am by bizatchgirl

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 14

Hi there,

I need some suggestions on Fondant tools. I was watching Amazing Wedding Cakes and saw that the girls were using a double or even triple edged "pizza cutter" to make the long strips of fondant for bands. Anyone know what this is called so I can order it, or where to get one? Also, I have purchased a clay gun to make the "cake-a-roni" cake but it is too small, I need something with more volume so I don't have to make a million. Also, the metal of the clay gun caused my fondant to have "junk" on it so I don't want to use that again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

13 replies
yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 14

you can get the roller at any craft store. hobby lobby michaels etc. that's pretty much where i get all my stuff. i don't know anything about the gun you were talking about, but it sounds like something that would also be used for pasta so you could check a kitchen supply or bed bath and beyond maybe

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:46am
post #4 of 14

Yes, that is what I am looking for. Of course, story of my life, I didn't want to pay $69 for it.. I checked Michaels and they didn't have it nor a fondant smoother, can you believe it? Anyway, I will check hobby town. Thanks so much!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:13am
post #5 of 14

Have you tried Walmart for the fondant smoother? They carry some fondant tool supplies. Is your Michael's just out of them right now, because I don't know a Michael's that doesn't carry them.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #6 of 14

Our Michael's carried them, but when I lost mine the other day and went there to get a replacement, they were out. But I didn't even see a spot where they would be icon_surprised.gif
Anyway, my Walmart doesn't carry it, but the one in the next town does, so I go there. Their cake supplies are better than my Walmart.

That cutter thing is awesome!

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:28am
post #7 of 14

you need to think out side the box. go into bed bath & beyond or a store like it and look on the untesil wall and think cake you will be amazed at what you can hind. Also look in the local toy store in the Play-DO section.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #8 of 14

Are you talking about Collette Peters' pasta cake? That cake is the one that inspired me to get away from pastry chefing and get into more serious decorating. I saw it and thought it looked so coll and said, "I can do that!" funny thing is, I got so distracted by all the interesting things you can do with decorating, that I never ended up making that cake after all that. Though I do own a really nice pasta machine now because of it.

And try this clay gun (the green one.) It really does the job....

http://tinyurl.com/22gt33

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:34am
post #9 of 14

ooooh, i just saw one of those today at hobby lobby and was wondering what it was for. and diddo to the think outside the box. if you buy stuff specifically made for cake decorating you will spend sooo much money. you can find very similiar tools in the clay sculpting section of craft stores, the kitchen utensil aisle and i have even found lots of good molds in the kid craft section. i bought a tiny little rolling pin for a buck and saw the same thing in the wilton aisle for like $8! just keep your eyes and mind open and you will surprised what pops in there icon_smile.gif

btw what is the pasta cake? does anyone have a link to it, i would love to know what it looks like.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:46am
post #10 of 14

okay what is the clay gun for? I'm intrigued...I love the idea to think outside the box!

caincakemaker Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:50am
post #11 of 14

Funny you have mentioned Bed Bath and Beyond.. I wonder the halls aimlessly looking for things as I "think cake". The only place I haven't gone yet is to Home Depot, but I am gonna! icon_smile.gif Here is the link to the cake-a-roni cake: www.colettescakes.com/book_cc_drm.html#

caincakemaker Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:52am
post #12 of 14

"Though I do own a really nice pasta machine now because of it."
Do you live in Sacramento, CA LOL!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:14am
post #13 of 14

Definitely go to Home Depot cain and think cake...lots of people use the metal or plastic paint scrapers and the high density foam paint rollers (the Melvira method, it rocks!) to smooth their buttercream. I also bought my cake level there, just a regular level, but I keep it with my cake stuff and no one can borrow it. icon_biggrin.gif

I wander Hobby Lobby and Michaels all the time looking for new "toys". My favorites are my pasta roller (in the clay section) and my cheap projector for writing on cakes (in the art section). It's not a KopyKake for sure, but I got it and the pole for less than $40 after the coupon. I also bought a bag of thick clear plastic mats, sort of sturdy like a placemat, but they are plain and cheap. I cut them to different sizes and when I use candy clay I make things on the little mat and can slide it in the fridge to cool and start of something else on a clean one.

There's lots more I'm sure, but my brain has already gone to bed without me. Good luck!

Kim

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:28am
post #14 of 14

They have the multiple roller pasta cutter thingy at Wal Mart. They had it in a couple brands. I cheaped out and got the crappiest one and it is not sharp enough. So, spend a little more and buy a better one! They have a pie cutter one to that does a crimped edge on one side. I bought it but I haven't tried it yet.

And the Polymer Clay aisl is the bomb!!! Not so great at Michael's, but at Joann's they have a line that is just awesome! I've gotten some of my favorite things there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%