Just For Fun - Cakes To Shake Your Head At....

Decorating By KatesCakesBC Updated 29 May 2009 , 6:01am by cupcakeco

KatesCakesBC Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 11

I thought it would be fun to hear some stories and see some pictures of cakes that you have been asked to do that have made you stop and shake your head.... Or cakes that turned out exactly how the client wanted but the whole time you were thinking how ugly/tacky the cake actually is.

For example: I saw a random unknown cake decorating show on TV a while ago and the baker was horrified by the request of a tulled and silk flower monstrousity that the Bride wanted.... complete with the quintessential 80's fountain on the bottom tier and the plastic staircases, leading from two other cake tiers to the main cake, bedecked with copious amounts of pink and orange ribbons. They showed this Baker's work and he has the most beautifully elegant and modern cake designs but was hired to make the HUGE 80's cake from hell. He threw himself into it and laughed the whole time -- the Bride was thrilled by the end result! I obviously don't have a picture but I'm sure you can all picture the type of cake I am talking about... and it was as bad as you can possibly imagine it and more....

I figured with all the experience out there on CC there must be a bunch of stories like this one -- A little light hearted fun on these forums, ya know?

Feel free to post your stories and pics!

10 replies
Elise87 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:33am
post #2 of 11

don't have one but would love to see some lol so here is a bump icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 11

Here's what I've affectionately named the "Cornucopia of Crap" cake. For her parents' 65th anniverary, she wanted the cake to reflect all of their interests including -

world travel
vintage luggage tags
he was a pilot for Braniff and earned the silver eagle
they lived in Mexico for a number of years
RV travel to Alaska
ham radio

This was several years ago. I'm pretty sure I would have done things A LOT differently today! Anyway, they LOVED it! They just thought it was the greatest thing ever created. Yikes!

bebea Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #4 of 11

oh, i can only imagine! my mom has all those classic wilton books from the 70s and 80s. i love those cakes!

my brother's wedding cake was right up there - 1990 - the height of the black and white weddings, but they had 'red accents'. so, this 3 tier (complete w/ columns) cake had the black string borders w/ red rose 'accents'. i was 15 at the time and thought is was crazy - but i was still into the color flow fountains at the time!

sandykay Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:48am
post #5 of 11

DianeLM I have to say for all the stuff you incorporated it looks very nice. Yes, I'm serious.

jammjenks Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #6 of 11

Here's one for ya. Couple was married on 10/31/08 in her parents' backyard in a completely closed in, black, tarp-style tent with strobe lights flashing. Register attendent was an animated grim reaper statue. This was their wedding cake and it was exactly what they wanted. They loved it. One tier was funfetti cake mix. Gotta love the unique couples.

Mac Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:57am
post #7 of 11

I don't have a picture of this cake that I did because it was too freakin' ugly.

The MOG contacted me about a cake for her son. Loved hunting and wanted a hunting theme. Visions started dancing in my head of the possibilities. Well, MOG had HER cake already designed. It was too expensive for a stacked cake done in camo with fondant animals on it. So she wanted a FULL sheet cake with a hunting scene on it.

She wanted a deer, squirrel, duck, rabbit on it with trees and a pond and "wouldn't it be cute if you could put the bride dragging the groom away???" So I made the cake and airbrushed the background with each little animal drawn in buttercream icing, the groom in camo being dragged out by a bride in her wedding dress. EEEWWWW! It was butt-ugly!

Someone ask to see a pic of it, I told them...I didn't take a pic of that. I didn't want any proof that I made that thing.

Uniqueask Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:58am
post #8 of 11

DianeLM call me crazy but I think that cake is beautiful

jammjenks Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #9 of 11
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

DianeLM call me crazy but I think that cake is beautiful

What's up Allison...you not like MY cake, only Diane's?? Just kidding...I don't like mine either. icon_lol.gif

KatesCakesBC Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 11

Ha Ha - those are some funny stories and great cakes! I was talking to a friend who is engaged the other day after starting this thread. I didn't mention the thread to her but we started talking about what she wants for her wedding cake... and it was like she was describing a cake just for this thread! Hopefully what she wants is actually nicer in her head than her description was:

Slab Cake as the base, in orange (to match wedding colours) with a four tired cake rising off centre to the right. Each layer possibly a different colour and themed after one of their interests (fishing, bowling, scrapbooking and their dog). She wants "something unique" aside from plastic pillars between each layer, like maybe shot glasses or cut crystal tumblers - they worked as bartenders in Europe for a while. In between each layer she wants a spray of flowers that match her bouquet which she is planning to be the burnt orange calla lillies and cream roses with trailing ivy.

I like her idea of personalizing the design but... That is going to be one busy looking cake -- I hope her baker is extremely creative and can find some way of unifying all those ideas in one aesthetically pleasing cake!

cupcakeco Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:01am
post #11 of 11

In the process of making a bicycle WHEEL... for a friend's new girlfriend. When he told me he wanted a bicycle tire, again, for his NEW girlfriend, I was like What? icon_confused.gif You Sure? Yep.

Ah, puppy love and bicycle tires, has a nice ring to it, no?

Quote by @%username% on %date%