How Thick To Roll Fondant For Cake??

Decorating By mareg Updated 19 May 2009 , 6:46pm by pipe-dreams

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 5

I have heard 2 different ways on videos. 1. Just a crumb coat under a thick rolled out fondant. and 2. A crumb coat followed by a thicker layer of bc and a thinner layer of fondant? I know a thicker layer of fondant will hide more imperfections and will hold up better but what do you pros think and do?

Thanks!

4 replies
sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 5

Sharon Zambito ('sugarshack') has an instructional DVD on this very subject that you'll love...you can pm her.
She advises a thin crumb coat, and boy, does she make some gorgeous cakes!!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 5

sweetjan, Thats where Iheard of just a crumb coat. I like the fact of thicker fondant on the cake but how does it taste? And if they take it off how will it all taste?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 5

it alld epends on what you like to work with, you can have just a crumb coat of bc, or you can have a proper thick layer. many people do that as fondant is not always popular, that way you can take it off and still have a good layer of icing.
fondant can be very thin, or fairly thick, it all depends. some people cant work with it thin, some people cant work with it thick. the taste of the fondant depends on the brand/ recipe you use, which also affects what thickness it works well at.
personally, i do a middling coat of bc (dont bother to crumb coat, just slap it on, lol), and my fondant is on the thinner side usually, i just eye ball it.
xx

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 5

I put a thicker layer of bc underneath, in case they pick the fondant off. I also roll my fondant medium, not thick, but not super thin. I'd say it's leaning more towards the thin side, though. I think it's just a matter of preference in the end. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%