Hypothetical Question Re: Renting Kitchen Space

Decorating By cakes22 Updated 21 May 2009 , 1:14am by Alice1230

cakes22 Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 14

I am just posing this as a hypothetical situation! In no way am I doing this or thinking about doing this. I'm just curious.

Say you tell your HD that you are going to rent kitchen space to bake your cakes, how are they able to check that this is what you actually do? What is stopping someone from "saying" they are baking from a rented kitchen but actually bake their cakes from home? (other than a person's conscience?)

13 replies
-Tubbs Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 14

Interesting question. When I did my FoodSafe course, many of the participants were restaurant people, and from discussions it was clear that most inspections were done on a drop-in, catch-you-unawares basis, rather than by appointment. The instructors made it clear that inspections were not done for the convenience of the staff, and that they *would* be calling during lunch or dinner rush.

If you register a business as operating from a rental kitchen, then I presume that you open that facility up to inspection as and when the HD chooses. I have wondered how this will work once my basement kitchen is operational. The HD cannot just walk in at any time, since it is my home and only 'staffed' when I am here. How are they to know *what* I do behind the door?

pipe-dreams Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 14

In order to say you are renting from a kitchen, you have to have that kitchen inspected, and get a license. If I was the kitchen owner, I wouldn't let someone use my name, knowing they are not actually using my space. I think that might be fraud or something. Why pay the money to get inspected and everything if you aren't going to use it? i wanna know who would have the balls to go to the owner and be like, "yes, I'd like to say I am renting through you, but not actually pay you rent or ever cook here. I will just do it from home(or wherever), and you can think of an excuse when the HD shows up to inspect and I am never here. Thank you!" icon_lol.gif

-Tubbs Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 14

I think what the OP is thinking (correct me if I'm wrong) is that in theory one could rent a space, licence it and use it, but what would stop them from, say, taking a cake home to decorate it if they needed or wanted to 'work from home' that day? How would anyone know? In theory. icon_rolleyes.gif

cakes22 Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Interesting question. When I did my FoodSafe course, many of the participants were restaurant people, and from discussions it was clear that most inspections were done on a drop-in, catch-you-unawares basis, rather than by appointment. The instructors made it clear that inspections were not done for the convenience of the staff, and that they *would* be calling during lunch or dinner rush.

If you register a business as operating from a rental kitchen, then I presume that you open that facility up to inspection as and when the HD chooses. I have wondered how this will work once my basement kitchen is operational. The HD cannot just walk in at any time, since it is my home and only 'staffed' when I am here. How are they to know *what* I do behind the door?

I can understand the "drop in" inspections and trying to catch restaurants off guard (so to speak). I would think that would be the most honest way of checking.

My question was more on the "renting kitchen space" from a community kitchen or another city approved kitchen. It would already be approved, but there isn't someone there (technically) at all times and the HD wouldn't know anyones baking schedule, so it's not like they could check if someone was there or not, right?

TantalizingTreats Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 14

I am going through the process right now, of starting my own cake business and renting a kitchen. I had to write a proposal to the community centre stating why, what, where, when, and how.. They accepted my offer.. but what alot of work i have to do... had to get my food handling certificate, register my business name, register my business...(and the city needed to know the name and address of the kitchen i was renting), register myself as a home based business as well, since I would be taking phone calls and doing office stuff from home, and once you register your business and its food related, the HD automatically comes to investigate regardless of the kitchen already an approved commercial kitchen. Plus I have to get bonded (because I am handling money) and register for the better business bureaux (so that my customers know that I am legit), and also had to get business insurance with a 2 million dollar liability.

If you wanted to pretend that you rented a kitchen, you wouldn't be able to register yourself as a business.. And I am sure you customers would want to know if they are dealing with a real business or not... its kinda like playing with fire. I started with friends and family like everyone else.. and then once other people saw what i could do and started ordering cakes from me, I was up front with them.. that I was not a licensed kitchen and I would be making thier cake from my home.. so there was no liability on my part. However If I had ever got caught making a profit from selling cakes from home, I would of had to pay a huge fine... I never really had much of a clientele to actually make a profit, but decided this year that this is what i wanted to do as a full time job, which is why I decided to rent a kitchen and register my business... now I can advertise and be legal.

cylstrial Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 14

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole! If you got busted, you'd be in trouble.

TantalizingTreats Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole! If you got busted, you'd be in trouble.

Ohh.. i totally agree... thats why I said its playing with fire if you do. And which is why I went the legal way and rented a kitchen... today I am a legit business... so I have no worries.

bakermommy4 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 14

I went through the same thing before I found out I could bake from home. The owner of the kitchen charged $500 per month if you wanted to use the address for your business license. And there was an hourly rate if you were not going to use the address for licensing. I thought that was kind of weird. The owner of the kitchen told me it's not up to him whether I use the kitchen or not....that was between me and my conscience. he said there were people who rented from him and he NEVER see's them, only to pay there $500 and his fine with that.

But like cylstrial and tantalizing treats say...you'd be in such big trouble that it's not worth it.

pipe-dreams Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 14

Yeah, I mean technically I guess you probably could get away with it in a community kitchen like you said. I could never do it because I really never lie! My conscience wouldn't let me mislead people.

On a separate note, does anyone know where to go online to get your business name registered? I swear I've looked everywhere. Thanks!

bakermommy4 Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:58pm
post #11 of 14

Pipe dreams, I don't know about registering the name online. I registered mine at the county clerks office in my local courthouse.

pipe-dreams Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:50pm
post #12 of 14

Ohhh, maybe that's why I can't find anything online! icon_redface.gif
Thanks!

jewelykaye Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:00am
post #13 of 14

I worked for a bakery that was happy to except a large monthly fee and allow you to use their address.

I also rented space from a bakery that had someone on the books for that exact same thing and charged her around $100/month for it.

So people definitely do it.

Alice1230 Posted 21 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe-dreams

Yeah, I mean technically I guess you probably could get away with it in a community kitchen like you said. I could never do it because I really never lie! My conscience wouldn't let me mislead people.

On a separate note, does anyone know where to go online to get your business name registered? I swear I've looked everywhere. Thanks!

hubby did his...south carolina business one stop. search that and see if you can find it. he cant remember the coorect web address

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%