Any At Home Bakers Do A Taste Testing?

Business By SFcakelady Updated 20 May 2009 , 3:47am by zdebssweetsj

SFcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SFcakelady Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 14

I just started charging for my cakes, but I do this out of my house being that i'm not real buisy with it plus with a full time job working for a Dr. office, I only have the weekends. Anyway, a customer left me a message asking if she could have a "taste testing". I'm not a backery, plus I use a box mix. And if I do this I would have to bake a whole cake, fill it and ice it and might not get the job. What do I do? Any advice please!!!

13 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 14

Absolutely not. I do different flavor cakes and take to work for my fellow workers and have them give me an honest opinon of the flavors to get feedback. Most of them they love but there have been some that they have told me they were not crazy about so I consider that my free tastings.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 14

I do tasting for potential orders over 100 servings. This one lady once emailed me for a tasting for a 30 servings - yeah right.

I do the tasting consultation at their home. Take them two flavors w/frosting and filling. It is SO NOT a cake. It's actually half a wilton singles pan.

If someone w/less than 100 servings wants a tasting they are more than welcome to order my minimum order cake.

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 14

I am new to the "paying" decorating world as well, but what i have been doing in this instance is... say you are making a cake that will have batter left over. I bake that in a 6" pan. I put them in the freezer if I don't need one right away or decorate it and use a "sample" for someone that may be a potential customer.

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 14

I do taste testing for wedding cake on small scale. I do 2 or 3 one layer 4" cake. In flavor requested or in fondant or butter cream. I send them home with couple after planning their cake. This way they can taste, share, and be honest. One mil called to say they had champagne and all tasted the cake. So far I have gotten every order where I have sent cakes. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 14

I do tastings for large orders if requested.

For small orders, if they don't trust my website and testimonials that my cake is good icon_rolleyes.gif they can order a homestyle iced 8" round for $25 and pick it up.

Actually had a lady do that this past week...she was ordering a Groom's cake and could not decide what her rather picky groom would like...and she wanted it a surprise...so she had no problem ordering an 8" cake to take home and have it for his birthday...and they loved it and it helped her make sure he would like the cake flavor.

Manna4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manna4 Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 14

I bake from home and do tastings. I charge $35 for the tasting (which would be taken from the price of the cake, if they order one from me), for two people. This way only the people who are really interested come for the tasting and also the money help cover my expenses. I let the customer pick 2 cake flavors and 3 filling flavors in advance. For the appointment I set on a large platter ("lazy susan") a few slices of cake, pretty mounds of the different icings (including fondant), sauces and fillings. Then I just let them "play" with the food. thumbs_up.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 14

I do tastings no charge all but two have booked and that's because they went a cheaper route. What I do is make mini cakes 4" and put them in the freezer and then all I have to do when they want to come is pull it out and frost. I've been doing this for two years and it's worked for me. You could make a 6" and cut it in 1/4's too.

SFcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SFcakelady Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you all for the graet advice. I will definitly try freezing small cakes for the future. For now I'm going to tell her no unless it's a prty of 100 or more. Then I think it will be worth it.

debster Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 14

Yes I only do tastings for weddings and large party cakes.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 14

debster,
how do you freeze your cakes? Do you use a sealer? How long do they last in the freezer before they lose their fresh taste?

debster Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 14

I keep them for about a month or two, I wrap them in press and seal freezer wrap then in foil. I want to add I use Duncan Hines all freezes well , but I've found that Pillsbury White freezes better than Duncans white.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:16pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks Debster!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:47am
post #14 of 14

Yes I do tasting at my home for wedding cakes or large special occasions. I also keep small samples in the freezer that I can take out and decorate . I've never had a bride come for a consult that did not book their wedding with me. This gives us both a chance to meet, they usually bring their mother or fiancee,I have my books available and my pictures. It's really very casual I usually offer three or four different cakes and icing combination for them to try. when they book and pay their deposit I usually box up some samples for them to take home. So far it's worked very well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%