Cake

Decorating By KKaye Updated 19 May 2009 , 7:25pm by KKaye

KKaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKaye Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 6

I am new at cake decorating. I have been asked to decorate a 10" or 12" cake for a friend at work for a birthday party. I will be decorating it simple with buttercream icing and some roses on top and c shape scrolling on top and sides with a ribbon ( icing) border. It is not real time consuming but I just have no idea how to charge for my cakes.
I would appreciate any input you can give.

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, are you baking the cakes? If not, just charge for the ingredients you are going to use for the buttercream and for the hours you are going to work. Not sure what your hour rate there.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 6

It really depends on you experience level and area of the country. Me, I kick ass and live in Alaska.... My 10" cake is $70 and the 12" is $100 for basic decorations in buttercream.

KKaye Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 6

I live in Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Yes I am baking the cake. I am a beginner. I have taken 3 courses back to back so I have made lots of cakes now just practicing.

Thank you for the input.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 6

Ok. this is how I do it. I calculate how much I'm spending for the ingredients. Then three times that total and another few pounds (in your case dollars) added on top. Some decorators may not agree with me.

So the other thing that you can do is to find out how much other cake makers charge for a piece of cake. Then see how many pieces you can get from the two cakes you are making. And multiply that from the price from a piece of cake price.

Hope that make sence. icon_smile.gif

KKaye Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 6

Perfect sense. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%