Food Color Markers -- Brand And Tip?

Decorating By JillK Updated 26 May 2009 , 3:23pm by djs328

JillK Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 6

I'm going to buy myself a good set of food color markers and was wondering if anyone here had some recommendations.

If you use them, what brand do you like?

And how fine is "very fine" for the tips? I will probably be using them mostly for detail work on fondant-colored cookies, but nothing too fine ... I usually work with bold designs and want it to show up. icon_razz.gif

For example ... I am making some scrapbook cookies and want to draw designs/messages on the "pages." What would work best?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

5 replies
tiggerjo Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 6

I have the KopyKake markers and find that they work well for me. They are double ended so one tip is very fine and the other medium fine. This is the only brand that I have tried.

KKC Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 6

I buy the Americolor food markers...the tips are great for detail work....i always use them for details on fondant cookies because they are easy to work with and really convenient, they tips aren't bold but they still work great for detail. if u want a more bolder tip perhaps you can buy the Wilton they just don't come in as many colors as Americolor. HTH!

pattycakes55d Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:52am
post #4 of 6

I just bought the Americolor ones and given that I'm a newbie with shaky hands, they work great. You mentioned that you're making scrapbook cookies - my daughter loves scrapbooking and her birthday is coming. If you are willing to share, I'd love to know more about your project. Thanks

djs328 Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:59am
post #5 of 6

I've used the Wilton ones (didn't know Americolor made them! hmm....) and they work fine - you can tilt the marker to make bolder lines using the side of the tip (does that make any sense?) But they are really nice for smaller writing that I cannot pipe, or for details (animal prints...)

djs328 Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 6

Ok, so I tried the Americolor black markers this weekend...WAAAAYYYY better than the Wilton ones. Used them on cookies for details on my star faces. They have almost like a brush tip. It was around $4 for 2 black ones and they worked (not great, but good enough!) on my choc. transfers (for a few small details) which the Wilton ones did NOT work on...Will have to save my pennies for the color set!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%