The Very Hungry Caterpillar Graduates -- Kind Of :)

Decorating By JillK Updated 23 May 2009 , 3:05pm by LittleLinda

JillK Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake (and cookies) for my son's preschool graduation next month. icon_razz.gif The school says the theme will be "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," which is one of my son's favorite books.

My going idea to to have caterpillars circling the cake, maybe munching their way through fondant renditions of everything the caterpillar eats in the book ... and a "beautiful butterfly" on the top.

Does anyone have any advice on the actual execution of this ... or any better ideas? icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
brincess_b Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 4

that sounds cool! how many are you feeding... my other idea is to do cupcake catapillers, each cupcake would be a different coloured section.
your idea sounds great too though, it sounds like a bit of work! im thinking about how to do the catapillers, just balls of fondant stuck together? should work for bendy ones, ore you could thread them onto floristry wire.
xx

pipercakes Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 4

Your idea is awesome! Who could come up with something better than that?? I think your idea is great, but if you're looking for alternatives, I saw a cake on this site that told the story from beginning to end as you walked around the cake. (Tiered cake of course)

I can't find it now, but this is one of my favorite Eric Carle caterpillar cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1325268

LittleLinda Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 4

JillK, your idea is awesome. If you can make the fondant reditions of everything in the book, you can do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%