Fondant Smoother

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 20 May 2009 , 10:14pm by Rylan

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 14

I spent several hours to google "how to use a fondant smoother", but I did not see what I was hoping for. So I would like to ask you:
My problem with fondant covering is that the bottom is wrinkled. In Wilton class we learned to use only hands to pull the fondant down, smooth the wrinkles with hands, then trim.
When using the Smoother, do you still have to pull the fondant down and smooth with hands, or you use the Smoother from top to down, and it will deal with the wrinkles and made nice unwrinkled cake??? All I saw when google, that they use the smoother after the fondant is trimmed.
Please let me know if this product is a must when decorating with fondant.
Thank you!!!

13 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 14

A smoother for me is a definite YES on tools I use when working with fondant.

When I work with fondant i use my hands to get the fondant placed and pulled to the coverage I want or need, then I use the smoother to press it up well against my BC.

Once I have smoothed everything out that's when I trim my edges.

I also use 2 smoother's when working on cakes so that way I don't leave any indents or hand prints in my fondant.

I also use my smoother to get my crusted BC nice and smooth. I just use parchment paper along the area of the cake I want to smooth and use the smoother on the parchment paper.

Hope this helps out...Miss Lizzy

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 14

unfortunately the smoother isn't a magic wand icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif sure be nice if it was!! You still have to use you hands around the bottom of the cake to get the fondant placed correctly. sugarshack has a great DVD Flawless fondant. www.sugaredproductions.com -- I have learned everything I know about fondant from her! Good luck

ZlatkaT Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you so much. So you still have to use your hands to pull the fondant from the cake and stretch out the wrinkles... I guess I need to work on my skills.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 14

Practice... It could depend on the thickness of your fondant and if you are pulling too hard.. I don't usually pull on my fondant I just let it drop and it stretches down the sides..(cant be really thin fondant or you will get holes and cant be really thick or it will make your top edges of the cake rounded or even break.) then use my fondant smoother to press the fondant to the Buttercream to make it stick.. then trim. I always have a few inches of fondant around the bottom to trim off. I usually don't have an issue with wrinkles, Oh I keep guiding the fondant away from the bottom of the cake until I have a few inches extra at the bottom all around.. that might eliminate the wrinkles..they are out away from the cake and near the bottom of the cake its smooth. does this make sense. I hope so.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 14

I agree Sugarshacks Flawless Fondant Dvd is a Huge, HUGE help!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 14

http://www.edgers.co.uk/edgersmainframe.htm

After using my hands i use some of the products from *Edgers* as seen in the link above.
Have to say they are the best products i have ever used for smoothing and finishing off a surface.
The *smedger* is the best of all - i would be lost without it. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
The book is so imformative - and has step by step photos to help everyone - from beginner to competant decorator who is starting to use fondant etc.

I also use my little plastic and metal scrapers for smaller cakes.

Hope this helps.
Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

ZlatkaT Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 14

Thank you, make sense to me now, and will see how my next cake will show up icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 14

If you sit your cake on something smaller then the cake, like a coffee can, it makes it a little easier to get the wrinkles out as the fondant lays flat instead of bunching up at the bottom on the counter or turntable.

tonimarie Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 14

I thought of one other place for you to look, I think I've seen covering a cake with fondant on you tube. Don't have a direct link, but I'll bet you could search around and find it-if I have time later today I'll look for it!

ZlatkaT Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you tonimarie, I looked at you-tube, but they used only hands to smooth the fondant. And there was one video, but short cut the actual wrinkle smoothing, they only show later the Smoother job.

tonimarie Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:51am
post #12 of 14

Here's a blip of sugarshack's flawless fondant video;

After you view each video if you scroll over to the right, there are other fondant videos icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 20 May 2009 , 4:03am
post #13 of 14

I agree I have all of sugarshack's videos and they are amazing. I already have my Topsy Turvy from her on pre-order

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 May 2009 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 14

Also Jennifer Dontz has great dvds. Check it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%