How Do I Make My Wedding Cake

Decorating By kara27 Updated 20 May 2009 , 5:26pm by kara27

kara27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kara27 Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:24am
post #1 of 6

icon_cry.gif help needed is making wedding cake for june 13th can I fezze any sponge cake mix. the mix I using is 1 cup of butter, 1cup of s.flour ,1cup of sugar 4eggs mixs the butter with sugar add egg mixs and fold in flour also if using VIVA method can I use any paper towel cozs cant get it in uk .
also please if I make Any flowers with butter icing how long will the keep uisng viva butter icing recipes from here my
Source: "Karen
thank any help would be good thanks icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif
[/quote]

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:44am
post #2 of 6

Hi Karen, you can freeze your cakes. If the filling you are using is just buttercream, torte the cakes, fill them and then freeze them. But I'm not sure about using kitchen towels as they have some design on them.

Why don't you make your buttercream which you are going to make your flowers with few days before you make the cake.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 6

if you are already stressing out, you might want to find a friend who can do cakes, or at least be trained to do it, lol, if you are not wanting to use a bakery. at least that way, you wont have the last minute worries.
viva method works with any paper towel, sort of. it does smooth, but you will be left with the pattern on it. fine if its going under fondant, not so fine if it is the final look.
xx

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 6

Are you wanting to freeze the mix or the actual cakes after they are baked? Once baked they will freeze fine if wrapped properly (2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 layer of foil). Any paper towel without a design that is completely smooth will work. BC flowers can be made now and left to crust but do not put in airtight container or they will get very soft.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 6

I hope I'm not overstepping my boudaries here...but if you are too worried about the cake AND the flowers, AND the VIVA method working out...maybe you should have some back up plans in place. Just in case?

I'm personally no good at buttercream flowers. Since people like the taste of my cakes, I've learned a few "low stress" decoration things that always work out nicely. Here are a few back ups...just in case things don't go according to plan - - -

(1) Ribbon - you may only have enough "emotional room" to squeek out some tiers that taste fabulous and are iced smooth & that's it! So, why not just add a fabric ribbon around the tiers and stack? Maybe add some tiny dot clusters or just leave plain. Simple, elegant, classy.

(2) "Wavy" frosting application - Not sure what the technical terms is, but I use the back of a teaspoon or tablespoon and apply icing in one check mark type swoop. After you cover the whole cake, you end up with what looks like soft waves or peaks. Very soft for a summer casual thing. The cake I did this on was actually on a sort of floating tier stand. I added tiny garlands of pastel rose buds and greenery around the stand. I wish I had pictures. Sort of a garden feel. That's only if the VIVA effort runs amuck!

As far as freezing the cakes, I'm no expert. I don't really freeze client cakes but, I have put some practice cakes in the freezer. (just until I can get back to it-not for days) I did notice that the all butter frosting I used sweat as it thawed out. I don't mean to presume you'll freeze your cake with frosting on...but hey, I had to learn it the hard way! I'd hate for you to learn it on your wedding day!

I just re-read your post...is it YOUR wedding day? Well, it doesn't matter. Sweating cake on anyone's wedding day isn't good! Ha!

Good Luck!

kara27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kara27 Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 6

thank all good help to me.I going to make my own cake , love making cake and always dreamed of making own will let you know how I go going to freeze them ,then make frosting have lots of help. like my nan who make my mum cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%