Strawberry And Fondant Disaster

Decorating By caketalk Updated 19 May 2009 , 6:43pm by Cakepro

caketalk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketalk Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:55am
post #1 of 3

Ok so everything was going well (sort of) with my first time fondant cake, I decided to put fresh slices of strawberries on top and...boom.... disaster... icon_sad.gif soon after, the juices from the berry drip down the cake and the fondant became soft and ... well, Im sure you can imagine. Now the questions to all of you experts, is ; WHAT CAN I USE TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING AGAIN? PLEASE HELP!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

2 replies
sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 3

Yep, fondant and anything even slightly wet just don't mix! I've never put fruit on top of a fondant cake but I would assume you'd have to have a layer of something underneath it (that could be hidden) to protect the cake from it. Maybe a piece of cake board covered in wax paper or something like that?

~Sarah

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 3

Simple: to prevent it from happening again, don't put sliced strawberries on your fondant-covered cake.

Sliced strawberries bleed. Fondant is sugar. Strawberry juice melts fondant. I don't know exactly what look you're trying to achieve, but you may have to put them in a bowl, because there is no getting around the fact that sliced strawberries bleed their juice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%