Cake Mix Users...help Needed!!

Decorating By IHATEFONDANT Updated 19 May 2009 , 6:23pm by bakermommy4

IHATEFONDANT Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:16am
post #1 of 14

My college girl and her roommates are making a cake for a womans shelter.

I gave her my Wilton 12x18x2 pan to use.

They are using cake mixes. I don't use them and cannot give them advice.

Can you mix multiple mixes at the same time? I figure they will need 3 boxed mixes to fill the pan. Correct? If I tell them they have to mix each box separately they may faint.

I've also told them to bake two cakes and stack them. They would probably not be able to torte anthing.

Any advice??

Thanks!!

13 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:22am
post #2 of 14

You can but does their mixing bowl hold that much? My KA 5qt gets pretty full doing 2 boxes. If they are using a hand held mixer I suggest doing 1 box at a time to ensure it gets blended properly.

I wish them luck & it's great what they are doing thumbs_up.gif

lynda-bob Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:25am
post #3 of 14

You can make all three mixes at one time; I do it all the time. Just multiply the add ins (eggs, oil etc) accordingly.

If they are going to bake two separate layers to stack, though, I wouldn't mix up all the boxes at once.

Personally, I would just make all three boxes and frost it. Those huge layers are hard to handle. icon_razz.gif HTH icon_smile.gif

bakermommy4 Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:28am
post #4 of 14

I agree with the above...bowl size and layers...they would need a really nice size bowl for the 3 mixes, and making layers that big are hard to handle for sure...I think they should either do 1 layer, frost and decorate and voila...you got cake!!

Minstrelmiss Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 14

I think they should NOT make two layers unless they can level them...otherwise they will look messy. Two separate cakes may be a better option Best of luck to them for their good deed icon_smile.gif

idjitmom Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:31am
post #6 of 14

I just did one that size this weekend, I used 2 receipes of the WASC for each layer, and it was pretty tall! If they're just doing the basic cake mix receipe I think two for each layer would be fine. And it's not to bad stacking them, as long as they don't try torting - just slide one off of a dlat cookie sheet on top to the other one..

IHATEFONDANT Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:36am
post #7 of 14

They have a KA mixer to use from one of their professors..think it is a 5 quart.

I was going to have them mix 3 boxes at a time..bake..then use the pan again once they clean it so they have two layers.

Thanks for all the advice!! I wasn't sure if you could mix multiple box mixes at the same time!!!

They are making enough cake for about 15 women and about 10 children. They wanted leftover cake so that the women and kids could enjoy it for a few days after the party.

sgauta Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 14

I always mix the mixes together and have never had a problem...my KA only holds two at a time though. Good luck to them! icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

They have a KA mixer to use from one of their professors..think it is a 5 quart.

I was going to have them mix 3 boxes at a time..bake..then use the pan again once they clean it so they have two layers.

Thanks for all the advice!! I wasn't sure if you could mix multiple box mixes at the same time!!!

They are making enough cake for about 15 women and about 10 children. They wanted leftover cake so that the women and kids could enjoy it for a few days after the party.

Are you saying they are going to use 6 box mixes for 25 people?

If they bake a two layer 9x13 they will have lots of cake.

Each mix makes 24 cupcakes. Six mixes is almost 150 cuppies.

I'd recommend baking one 12x18 with three mixes. Cut it in half (not torted) and stack that up to make two layers 12x9.

kakeladi Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 14

Ditto to K8's info........a 2 layer 12x18 cake is much, much more than you need!

When I did cakes for a women's shelter the personnel at the shelter would not let me make big ones so they would have extra......they didn't want the kids to have that much sugar - said they would act up on a sugar high icon_sad.gif

sadsmile Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 14

A quarter sheet(13x9) will be enough cake. If they are going to "fill" your huge pan and bake it all at once then they are going to run into baking problems with the cake not getting done in the middle.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #12 of 14

I agree with K8. I did this last week for 2 separate orders for chocolate cakes. I baked in the 12 x 18 and cut it down the middle. Each of those cakes was then torted and filled for the customers, but your friends could easily stack the cakes on top of each other with filling in between.

hails Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 14

I just wanted to say, I think that is such an awesome and kind deed of your
daughter and her friends to do, you have clearly raised a great girl icon_smile.gif
I am sure no matter what they do and how it turns out the ladies and kiddies
at the shelter will be thrilled at their kind thought! Have a Blessed day!

bakermommy4 Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hails

I just wanted to say, I think that is such an awesome and kind deed of your
daughter and her friends to do, you have clearly raised a great girl icon_smile.gif
I am sure no matter what they do and how it turns out the ladies and kiddies
at the shelter will be thrilled at their kind thought! Have a Blessed day!

Ditto thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%