Help With Gumpaste Or Fondant Characters

Decorating By jrough76 Updated 19 May 2009 , 6:03pm by mindy1204

jrough76 Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 8

Hello. I thought I posted this somewhere on this site but I can't find it anywhere. So, here I go again.

My name is Jill. I am new here. I love to make cakes and love to try new things. I am not a professional or even any where near being one. My daughter asked me to make her birthday cake this year. We are doing an Alice in Wonderland theme. I want to make a really special cake. I would like to have characters on the cake. I have a few questions though.

What is better and easier to work with, gumpaste or fondant?

How long do they typically need to dry before they are hard?

Are there any tips or tricks to working with this stuff?

And last but not least, is there anyone that makes the characters and ships them? No one in my area will make them to sell. They only make them if you buy the whole cake. Since my daughter asked me to make her cake, I really want to do that.

Thank so much.
Any advice is appreciated.

7 replies
whitet4 Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 8

There is a lady on Etsy that makes fondant figures and sells them. You might want to look on there. As for making them yourself a mix of the two would be the best and I usually let things try for about 3 days and your good to go.

jlynnw Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 8

Welcome to CC!

I am new at making figures as well. I have found for me, I like a 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix. The fondant does not dry as fast as the gumpaste and therefore, you can work it longer. I wish I had more answer for you but will keep checking in to learn with you.

icer101 Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 8

when i make characters.. i use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mixed.. i usually get a picture or a model of what i am making.. i use speghetti. to hold on arms ,head, legs, shoes, etc... i use glue that is sorta thick.. i like to know it is going to stay.. make what i am making.. put in front of a small fan to dry. if my figures are sorta tall.. then i make pastiallge... this is stronger and won,t break as easy... i always make up my figures for a cake. couple weeks ahead.. after they are dry.. i put them in a drawer and cover them with tissue or paper towel.. hth

summernoelle Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 8

I only make mine from fondant, unless there is something like wings, etc that needs more stability.

And I don't ship my stuff-it's too delicate!

jrough76 Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you for all the advice. The thought of trying to make these characters just makes me a nervous wreck. I can't imagine me being able to get them perfect enough. I guess it goes back to the saying, you are always your own worse critic. I really am. Thank you again for all the advice and I will keep checking in to see if there is more.

brincess_b Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 8

try doing a practice figure and see how you get on, if you think you would like it on the cake, or if with practice you would get better and like it. if you cant see it coming together, then maybe change the design of the cake, or i bet you can buy the figures at a toy shop.
xx

mindy1204 Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 8

Love the spagetti idea. I am going to attempt to make people for my sons bday cake. I am starting 3 weeks ahead that way I leave myself plenty of time if I mess them up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%