Basketweave Spacing

Decorating By posoutlook Updated 19 May 2009 , 10:12pm by indydebi

posoutlook Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a wedding cake this week using basketweave with a 2B tip. How do I measure the spacing on the tiers? 2 will be square and 2 will be round. Does that make a difference?

8 replies
poohsmomma Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 9

bump.

aggiechef Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 9

Try reading through this thing from Wilton. I believe the answer to your question is in step 2.
http://www.wilton.com/technique/Basketweave

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

ninatat Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 9

Hi, i love the basket weave, can't wait till i learn it in class, on the picture what tip, and how do you do the bottom edge, Thanks

TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:29am
post #5 of 9

I usually turn my tip side ways and lightly press it into the the icing to give me the width of space to skip.

If you have the Wilton flower formers you can also use those pressed into the cake to make evenly spaced lines to follow.

dbramble1020 Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:45am
post #6 of 9

For a the smaller basket weave tip I use a small flexable metal spatula to get the size inbetween the vertical lines. I like TexasSugar's idea of using the flower formers and the width of the tip for the bigger tip.

For the Horizontal Spacing I just place the tip on the icing, as if I was going to create a line right above the previous one, to leave a small bit of icing or an indentation. This way you have a the exact spaceing that the tip will fill on the next row.

I use the same technique for a round and square cake except you have to wrap the basketweave around the corner so you want to try to get the horizontal line on the corner.

Hope that helps.

posoutlook Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks to all the response. thumbs_up.gif I guess I should have made it clear that I was concerned about the vertical spacing and it coming out even. The 2B tip is wider than the one used in class and I'm sure there is a simple formula to figure the width apart each line should be marked. I may just be stressing over miniscule details since this is only my 3rd wedding cake and the most detailed so far. However, I am greatful for everyone here because I know that if you ask someone knows the answer and they are always so nice about it. I have learned so much from this site.

cakes22 Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 9

One of the videos that serious_cakes has on youtube covers basketweave. You may want to check it out.

indydebi Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #9 of 9

I use the width of the tip as a guide. Start in the back ... end in the back. THe thing I like about basketweave is that if you mess it up (in the back, where no one looks), no one can really tell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%