Shotgun Shells

Decorating By kimb Updated 22 May 2009 , 5:11pm by bsharp

kimb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimb Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 8

I need shotgun shells for a grooms cake next week.

any suggestions, maybe someone here has tried them before.

fondant, gumpaste or candy clay which would work better

7 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 8

you might find how to on earlenescakes.com.. she teaches that sometimes.. and deomos that at ices convention.. hth

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 8

I would roll logs out of fondant and them paint the color on them with a brush. Just my opinion though as I haven't used gumpaste or candy clay yet. Good luck with whatever you use! icon_smile.gif

bsharp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsharp Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 8

I bought Earlenes tutorial (on paper) and loved it. She explains it so well. I have made several now. Good Luck

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 8

I am around shotgun shells constantly. I made one awhile back, never got a pick. Roll out a log of gp, better than fondant. Flatten both ends, and flare one of the ends, as a real shell would be, for the bottom. Impress a small circle in the bottom of the shell in the middle, that is the primer or what goes bang when you fire the gun. On the top, take a razor blade and make what almost look like cake slices around the top, so the shell looks like where the top was crimped in after they pack in the actual "shot" or lead bb's.

For more efffect, roll some small non-pareils around in silver or pewter luster dust, and sprinkle some around where the shells will be sitting, to mimic spilled shot.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I am around shotgun shells constantly.

_Jamie_ is there something you would like to share with the rest of the class??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 8

Hahahahaha...actually, my dad reloads shells, because he shoots trap and skeet. I was raised in a gun toting family! icon_biggrin.gif

bsharp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsharp Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 8

I love the idea for the non-perials... Whoohoo, I know what I'll be doing next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%