Tres Leches Cake

Decorating By antoinette Updated 19 May 2009 , 1:06pm by antoinette

antoinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antoinette Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 8

I just got an order for a tres leches birthday cake. Here's my question: How do I keep the milks from seeping out of the cake. I've made them before (always for family) but I have always kept them in the pan. Will the icing slide off if the sides are too moist? Don't know what to do!!!

7 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 8

bump

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:15am
post #3 of 8

good question, Ive never made one...and I'd like to know, one day and hopefully soon I will make one...

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #4 of 8

I can't help you, but I was just getting ready to post about this cake. I have a recipe I love for it, but I am curious what the traditional topping is for it? My recipe has a rum/fruit topping, which I don't really like. The one time I had this cake in a Cuban restaurant, it had some kind of chocolate frosting on it. Do you know what the traditional topping is?
Sorry I can't help you with your question. Maybe someone else will see with this bump..... icon_wink.gif

Bonks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonks Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #5 of 8

I use a piece of parchment paper underneath my tres leches cake. I make the cake a couple days in advance, and i never had problems with the milk seeping out. I also frost same time with whipped cream and it never slides off the cake.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #6 of 8

i have made one.. i had to bake it in a 10x3" springform pan... when it was all ready and cooled ,etc.. i had to torte it... i had to cut up frest strawberries. i cut up a lttle more than it said.. i had to mix 3-4 idfferent milks. bring them to a boil.. let it cool in the frig.. when i had torted and put in the strawberries.. i had to poke holes all over the cake. this cake ,i had to put in a container . i used a small tupperware cake taker . that i had for a long time. used saran wrap folded over the top of the cake taker.. then when i poked holes in the cake and poured the milks all over . i had to wrap it with the saran wrap.. put in frig over night.. then next morning .. put sever more cups of the millks.. keep refrigerated several hrs . longer.. then i had to make a fresh whip cream topping. at this point.. i took it out of this cake taker and slid it on a bigger plate with a rim sorta around the plate.. then, i iced it with the whip cream.. i thought it was delicious.. it really didn,t run with the milks after that. my husband didn,t really care for it.. i made it for my grown sons b/d.. he liked it and so did his wife. my husband just like plain ole yellow cake or pound cake with strawberries cut up with sugar. thats ok too.

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 8

I've made a couple of these. They are delicious. With mine, the milks seeped out a little initially, but once I got them onto their boards, I just wiped around the edges with a paper towel and they did not contiue to seep. I iced them with whipped cream and it stayed on just fine. HTH

antoinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antoinette Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! Never thought about letting it sit while giving it time to seep and then wiping the milk up. It's due tomorrow, so I guess I will make today and keep in fridge while the milks "drain". I knew I could count on everyone here on CC. Feel like a heavy weight has been lifted off my shoulders!!! Thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%