Need Help W/ Chocolate Covered Strawberries!

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 18 May 2009 , 9:18pm by cupcakelady64

aprilcake Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 7

I have a major question for you wonderful cake decorators out there! Have any of you put chocolate covered strawberries on a wedding cake before?

If soPLEASE HELP ME! I have a wedding cake this weekend and they want chocolate covered strawberries as the border and on top of each tier! (all 5 tiers are separated). So.i have not done this before and I need to know when I need to make the strawberries (dipping in chocolate) and how I store them and when I should put them on the cake! I am afraid of them ooozing out strawberry liquid onto the icing. I usually set up wedding cakes while the wedding is going on but I am singing in this wedding so I need to set it up before hand. How should I go about all that keeping the chocolate covered strawberries in mind so that they dont melt or ooze out onto the cake? HELP!

Thanks so much!

6 replies
Michele25 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 7

I've never put chocolate covered strawberries on a cake, but I did have to help make 500 of them for a graduation reception at my kids' school. I remember that we made them a few hours before the event and did not refrigerate them because the condensation would've caused the chocolate to get "gross" (for lack of a better term right now). Don't know if that is any help....?

mbt4955 Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 7

I have put them on several groom's cakes. I always have them washed, dried and at room temperature. I dip them the day of the wedding and keep them at room temperature until they go on the cake. If you put them in the refrigerator, the berries will almost surely sweat when you take them out. Strawberry ooze definitely makes a mess.

A friend brought some to work today that she had left over from a party. She had them in the fridge and they tasted good, but there was a lot of moisture on the bottom of the container that the berries were in. Plus the chocolate was hard and cracked when I bit into the berry.

That is a LOT of strawberries to try to do on the day of the wedding. Maybe you can get some help. If they are at room temperature when you put them on the cake, I think they would be fine.

jamiekwebb Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 7

I don't know about putting them on the cake but make sure that they are dry and rrom temp before dipping or the choc might have trouble sticking.

patticakesnc Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 7

I have done them on cupcakes but not a cake yet. I did them the day before and put them on and they were ok the next day but I would recommend putting them on the cake when you set it up of course (on site). But as far as keeping them. Don't put in the fridge, don't tightly cover, they need to breath. Put them in something with a light towel or something where air can get in and out.

lazlo Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 7

Okay!! this is what you want to do. First maybe the night before rinse them off and dry them or put them on a towel to dry or soak up the liquid. Second dip your strawberries the morning of the even. I use like 1 cup of chocolate morsels to like 2 tablespoons of oil. that wway the chocolate has cruch and it doesn't bloom. What you want to do is get some skewers or toothpicks and stick them in the strawberry and then stick the stick in the cake. This will help you adhere the berry to the cake with out falling. and do it at the site. I mean you could do it before hand but it might sag and maybe a few will fall. I have made plenty of cakes and crocque en bouches like this. Good luck and please do show the picture of the finished results

cupcakelady64 Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 7

And from what i've experienced, do NOT dip them more than 24 hours ahead and don't keep for more than 24 hours after dipping. The berry will "rot" inside the chocolate! It's gross! No fridge, like they are saying, and you're going to need help with that many! Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%