Fondant Accents On Wire?

Decorating By IloveYorkies85 Updated 18 May 2009 , 7:19pm by bashini

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make those cute fondant accents that stick out of the cake on wire, but I dont know what they are called and cant find any info on it! I bought some wire that I thought would work at the craft store, but its not thick enough. Is there a certain kind online for cakes? Is that fondant or gumpaste? Any help please, or if there is already a post on it.
Thanks friends!
icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 4

There are different gauges of wire. The smaller numbers are the thicker wires. You can usually find the right kind of wire in the fake flower aisle at Walmart.

I just use fondant on mine, but some people use gumpaste or a 50/50 mix.

Instead of sticking the wires straight into the cake, it's a good idea to put a coffee stir or drinking straw into the cake and put the wires into that.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 4

I've done the fondant on the wire thing. Mine turned out fine. I used Gumpaste (it hardens so much quicker) and 20g wire. I made the cutouts, dipped the wire in "glue" and then inserted them into the cutout. I let them set for about 2.5 - 3 days to make sure they are dry. You will want to make sure you cut the wire longer then you want. It's better to have them to long and be able to shorten them then to have them to short and have to start over! Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 4

Hi, I made some balloons on wire for No1 cakes that I did few months back. I use 22 gauge wires. I used a tiny bit of sugar glue on the wire and then inserted it into the balloon. You also can use egg white instead of sugar glue. ANd I made my balloons with CMC added to fondant. YOu also can use 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste too! icon_smile.gif

And I second what Texas_Rose said. You need to insert the wires into a straw or flower pick and then insert that to the cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%