Decorating Cookies Too Babyish???????????

Baking By luv2bake6 Updated 19 May 2009 , 12:51am by luv2bake6

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 19

I've been asked to teach a decorating class for 10th grade girls this summer. Since i am not comfortable with cake decorating, i suggested cookie decorating (i'm not as good as many of you here but can show a thing a two to younger girls). She said "oh, wouldn't that be too babyish for that age girls?" I was stunned.
I've never taught any decorating classes and this would be my first possible try but before commiting, i would love to hear some ideas you might have for this age group.

18 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 19

I don't think it's to "babyish" however, I just did a cake for my daughters sweet 16 party and the girls were all sorts of gaga over it. It was fairly simple...here's what I did
I had a 12" and a 10" covered in crusting cream cheese BC then covered with bright pink fondant. I then cut different size circles and put them on it. I will post a pic...give me just a minute or two.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 19

Oh my! They will love it! I have taught to college students and they went crazy. I would prepare a few versions of the same cut out and teach a few different techniques for them to learn. Maybe prepare a packet to provide them with some recipes to take home too. You may have some real talent! Good luck and have fun icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 19

She might be thinking of the simple cookie decorating that is geared to young kids. You know, slap some icing on a cookie and cover it in sprinkles. Obviously, she has never seen the works of art that masquerade as cookies on this site!

I would think girls that age would get a kick out of doing swimsuit cookies, and they'd be pretty easy for them to do. Those would definitely NOT be babyish! Add some flip-flops, maybe some ice cream cones.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 19

Too babyish, are you kidding me?!!!! I wish that someone would take me under their wing and teach me a thing or two about cookie decorating, and I'm 49! icon_lol.gif

I think the girls would absolutely love it!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 19
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 19

I agree with GeminiRJ. Why not print out some pictures and show her what kind of decorating you are talking about. It isn't just icing and sprinkles.

Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 19

That was my reaction too!!! Is she kidding me??? I too would've loved to have someone teach me these things at that age! I'm still learning from all of you.
umgrzfn, that cake is absolutely gorgeous but i'm not savvy enough with cake decorating to do anything like that. If my cakes are level, i'm happy.

Maybe i could do some sort of a work shop instead of a class? Like have stuff set out and let them do what they want. If someone has a question on how to do something, i'll show them? I don't know, thinking out loud. Very new at this.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 19

You would want to give them some direction, rather than just turn them loose. Show them a few techniques like tye-dye swirls, how you get polka dots by adding the icing dots while the base is still wet, and how to pipe simple designs. Maybe you could show them fondant covered cookies and how that differs from glace or RI. I'd pick a theme and start from there.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 19

Umm...hello, I'm constantly buying books to teach myself how to do everything (cookies, cakes, etc) and of course CC is a HUGE help! I was really interested in taking a cookie class that Michael's was doing, but it didn't work out for me. It's definitely NOT babyish!

luv2bake6 Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 19

I totally agree. Just wanted to show you how clueless people out there can be.

Minstrelmiss Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #12 of 19

I completely agree with the structure part...I teach 7th and 8th graders. Freedom scares them. icon_biggrin.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:46pm
post #13 of 19

How would you teach cookie decorating to your class?

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:02pm
post #14 of 19

I work as a trainer at my day job, and what I find is that if you give people something they can follow, it works better. Like - put together a step by step, with pictures, on how to do something. And then maybe demonstrate it for them, and have them do the decorating with their cookies while you are - so, if anyone has a question, they are on the same step that you are. This method appeals to all sorts of learners, because it gives lecture, visual and hands on. Just a thought. I'm with everyone else- I seriously don't think cookies are too babyish - I want to take a class on cookies too, and let's just say it's been awhile since I was 16. icon_rolleyes.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks for the advice

Minstrelmiss Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:55pm
post #16 of 19

I agree with keriskreations! I would start with a demonstration that they could follow along with then let them make their own creations. Maybe a daisy with outline and fill...then let them go from there. Whatever you decide, they will love it AND it WILL NOT be BABYISH icon_wink.gif

edited to correct a spelling error

luv2bake6 Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:40am
post #17 of 19

sounds good. I'll try and thing more seriously about it now.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:48am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

I've been asked to teach a decorating class for 10th grade girls this summer. Since i am not comfortable with cake decorating, i suggested cookie decorating (i'm not as good as many of you here but can show a thing a two to younger girls). She said "oh, wouldn't that be too babyish for that age girls?" I was stunned.
I've never taught any decorating classes and this would be my first possible try but before commiting, i would love to hear some ideas you might have for this age group.

Wouldn't that be too babyish??? HA! You teach them my tye dye tee shirt cookies (in my pix). They are the easiest of all cookies to make and are considered the coolest of the cool from cookie eating hippies everywhere!! Too babyish -- BAH! icon_biggrin.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:51am
post #19 of 19

Holy Cow!! Those are so awesome!! And there is no need to wait hours for the basecoat to dry. Awesome idea, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%