So Aggrevated-Why Can't I Make A Stupid Basic Rose?

Decorating By nickymom Updated 25 May 2009 , 7:54pm by sweetjan

nickymom Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 34

I can do all sorts of things that some consider advanced but I can not for the life of me make a stupid buttercream rose!!! I was about to throw the bag & nail across the room but decided to get on here to vent instead...LOL What is wrong w/ me?

33 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 34

Don't feel bad, no matter how much I try mine come out like colored blobs of buttercream too icon_sad.gif Maybe someday it will magically come to me icon_razz.gif

tiggerjo Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 34

I had a very hard time at first. I now use a hersey's kiss for the center, make sure the frosting is stiff. I end up with more petals than I was taught to do but they now resemble a rose.

catcreations Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 34

Don't give up that is one of the things I struggled with as well. Then when I got the right consistency of bc and realized I was trying to hard it began to work. I also have very warm hands and it would warm the icing too much so I pop it in the refrigerator for 5-8 minutes start again. Just keep on it will come! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeinthebox4U Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 34

The only thing I can suggest is making sure your buttercream is a good stiff consistency. I usually end up putting the bag in the freezer a few times while making them when the heat of my hands makes the icing get to warm.

bisbqueenb Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 34

How about making them on a stick! I can't ever get a good rose on a nail, but on a stick! Perfect! here is a video that shows how it is done

You can use a dowel stick with a point, toothpicks for mini roses and my favorite is a plastic paint brush know the kind kids use to water color! Just the right size and washable!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 34

Maybe someone is trying to tell you that there are enough BC roses in the world and that your medium should be gum paste or fondant. I cannot do anything with a piping bag. I have never taken a class so it just does not come easy to me as seem in probably every border I do. However, if you give me a blob of fondant, gum paste or cold porcelain I can make you a beautifull rose and it will actually look like one. Even then there are days that my hands just will not cooperate and I have to put it down and come back at another time. I just think icing roses tend to look like a head of cabbage (just my opinion. no offense meant) so it doesn not bother me that I cannot make one.

mareg Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 34

I can't seem to do a bc or RI rose that look good. I do the gumpaste ones. Takes more time but they look SOOOOO much better.

hensor Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 34

Trust me you are not the only one out there with this problem. My biggest fear is that someone will actually want those on a cake. I have actually considered taking the Wilton Class one again, just to see if another instructor could teach me better.

Texas_Rose Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 34

Somebody told me once to try putting the centers in the freezer and getting them solid before putting the petals on. It really does work. If it's warm in the kitchen sometimes I also have to put the finished rose, still on the nail, in the fridge until it gets firm enough to move.

I don't really care for buttercream roses that was just one of those things where I had been trying to do it for years and it never came out. Once I tried the freezer thing and could make roses, I put roses on every cake I did for months, but it's been at least a year since I've made any.

TexasSugar Posted 20 May 2009 , 5:52am
post #11 of 34

Do you know where you are having problems? Would you mind posting a picture of one of your roses in here?

dogluvr Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:17am
post #12 of 34

wow, that utube video is cool......she does it so fast...even her borders......I also have thought about taking the class again to get more instruction to get better at it.

mclaren Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:23am
post #13 of 34

i failed miserably making a decent rose, until i tried it using indydebi's icing recipe.

Elise87 Posted 20 May 2009 , 8:40am
post #14 of 34

hey! I just started doing buttercream roses and at my first attempt i had trouble with the middle bit being soft and collapsing after piping the first few petals and this is my way that i fixed it: after a couple of goes i decided to get some buttercream and kept adding icing sugar to it until it being a dough consistency then moubling it into a cone shape and then piped from that. Also flatten the tip of the cone with the fingers and twist it a bit so it sort of looks like a petal bud thing.

I think it worth a try, it worked for me! If it starts sliding around, add a bit of normal buttercream to the bottom of the cone to get it to stick to the bottom of the nail.

Oh and the thing that REALLY sucks in on my second attempts at making the roses at one point i did this really really good one and i was so excited except but then i went to take it off the nail i dropped it on the floor icon_eek.gif ahhhhhhhh i was so upset especially cose all the rest sucked compared to my first attempt lol

Anyways hope the tip helps icon_smile.gif

dogluvr Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:42pm
post #15 of 34

thats a great idea...or like tiggerjo said, use a chocolate candy kiss for the center.

sandykay Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:44am
post #16 of 34

I know this is going to sound strange, but try to relax. I have found sometimes we try so hard that it tends to make it worse.

chrissypie Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #17 of 34

I am in the same boat. Can't make a buttercream or Royal Icing rose to save my life. It is something I really want to learn because I personally love how they look. I try and try and try. But to no avail. Hopefully one day I will have an a-ha! moment and it will all come to me. Until then, I guess I must just keep on practicing. I am in awe of some of the roses I see on here! Maybe my hands are just backwards!

mpetty Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #18 of 34

Sigh, I'm having the same problem. I just quit my nightly exercise in frustration before logging on, so I was happy to find this thread! I find I have to make my consistency somewhere in between stiff and medium - I have hot but small hands and my stiff consistency roses look like carnations because I just don't have the grip strength. For me, it's like so many say -- practice, practice, practice (plus popping the bags in the refrigerator).

Sandykay, I just checked out your gallery and your roses are amazing. They look straight from the Wilton course book! icon_biggrin.gif

sandykay Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:01am
post #19 of 34

Thanks. It took alot of practice, so hang with it. As for your small hands if you can control your pressure you can make then with medium icing.

icer101 Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:13am
post #20 of 34

i teach wilton at michaels.. so of course i teach the rose.. most of the students get it good.. some just cant, catch on.. i,ve even had some of these students to come to my house and help them more.. i tell them to go to there is a guy showing the rose on video.. this helps also.. not bragging.. but mine are even prettier.. you don,t have to freeze any cones.. never have in 13 years.. don,t have to use chocolate kisses.. never have... just keep playing with your icing. have it between a medium and stiff consistency ... creamy and smooth.. not dry and hard... pressure the bag good. when you make the cone and the petals.. soft icing.. no rose.. very stiff icing .. no rose.. the video on is better than any you see on youtube.. i can make them on a stick also. but make more using the cone.. everyone doesn,t want gumpaste roses or fondant roses on their cakes.. they want to cut thru the roses and eat them along with the rest of cake and icing.. its just practice , practice, practice.. as with all the rest of what we do.. border, etc... hth

mgwebb68 Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:30am
post #21 of 34

Hang in there. I just tried bc roses for the first time tonight before logging on. Now that I'm reading this thread (really glad I saw it, thanks for starting) I have some really good tips to try when I go back to it. I also realize that my biggest issue was my hand was making the frosting too warm. I tried the nail, couldn't get the bc to stick to it to form the cone (don't know what that was all about), I got frustrated so I tried a cookie stick. I had much better success that way, but by roses were droopy (now I know I was melting my bc). I also think I need to try a larger tip because my petals are really skinny and my roses are really tight. I can make a carnation on a cupcake and a "begonia" type flower on a cupcake, just having trouble with the rose.

Oh, and regarding the freezer thing I saw a video on youtube where a lady froze some water in a cake pan, then put another pan on top and set her bag there when she wasn't working to keep it cool.

mpetty Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #22 of 34
Originally Posted by mgwebb68

...regarding the freezer thing I saw a video on youtube where a lady froze some water in a cake pan, then put another pan on top and set her bag there when she wasn't working to keep it cool.

I saw that and tried it, but found that it doesn't cool my icing down enough (I really melt that icing!). What works better for me is to pop the bags into a insulated lunch box with one of those reusable ice bags inside. I put a washcloth over the reusable ice so that it doesn't over-cool my icing, but it's the best way for me to get the consistency back.

My Wilton instructor also made a good suggestion for those of us with hot hands - keep one of those reusable ice bags next to you as you pipe, and every so often rest your hand on it to cool your hand down. You'd also want a wash cloth over that, especially in the summertime, as the bag will start to sweat and make your hand slippery on your icing bag.

mgwebb68 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:03pm
post #23 of 34

Mpetty - Wow, I don't think my hands get as hot as yours, I wasn't melting it, but I was definately warming it up, thus the droopy roses. Still don't know why they were so tight either. I know it was a nice smooth bc, it was a crusting bc, got the recipe from here, and I made sure not to over mix. So I know it wasn't the frosting, it was all me. I will try your suggestion, for my hands and my bags. Thanks for all the pointers. I may give it another try tonight when I crumb coat my cakes. I definitely had better luck with the cookie stick than the flower nail though. I'll just keep trying until I get it right. I'm addicted to this and I'm not giving up. icon_smile.gif

Nyree Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:05pm
post #24 of 34

I feel your stress. when I first started my roses looked like cabbages. I remember at my wilton class I was so frustrated I squashed them together and said forget it I can't do these.

But after realizing that I am taking those classes for a reason, you really just need to keep practicing, I am lefty and for me its a difficult because I have to rotate it the opposite way as oppose to someone who is a righty, my hand will turn the nail but my brain is saying your doing it wrong. My hands will melt that bag and turn that frosting to a thinned consistancy icon_lol.gif The key here is that there is no such thing as perfection, but the illusion that we create to make it seem like perfection. Keep practicing and you will find yourself doing them like it was second nature. Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

mpetty Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #25 of 34
Originally Posted by Nyree

The key here is that there is no such thing as perfection, but the illusion that we create to make it seem like perfection.

Boy, that's the truth! One thing I discover as I go along is that cake decorating is not cut and dried and sometimes (often?) the rules we're taught in class need to be adjusted to fit each person. Nyree, I certainly feel for, and admire, you -- decorating is tough enough to get the hang of, without being a leftie in a right-handed world! icon_confused.gif

bakingatthebeach Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #26 of 34

Just have to practice practice and more practice! You will get it. Sometimes when Im in a hurry and I think all the roses look stupid, then people see the cake and are like, how do you make those roses, they look great. We are all very critical of ourselves!!

jab2004 Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #27 of 34

If your problem is with the "center" moving etc, then put it in the freezer. When I do roses I use parchment squares on the nail. I make a bunch of centers and then put them on a plate and pop them into the freezer for about 10 minutes. Then I pull one out at a time to do the petals, and then put them back in the freezer. Then when I need to place them on the cake I just peel the parchment off and stick it where I want, without damaging the petals.
If you are having issues with your petals this is how I was taught. First petal should be tight and have a small opening at the very top. Then the 3 petals, think of piping a candy cane (hold your back at the 2 o'clock position). Then the 5 petals (hold the bag almost to the 3 o'clock position, but not quite).
I hope that helps. I think once you get it, you get it. It's one of those things that "clicks" with people.

dutchy1971 Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #28 of 34

I'm another one who can't do buttercream roses, but fondant and playdoh, yes playdoh, I have mastered. All my BC roses looked like cabbages or I think they look like they were melting. We made a basket of roses cake in class and even though they all looked crappy, when they were all together they looked ok and the cake go lots of compliments from friends and family.

vicky Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #29 of 34

Making buttercream roses takes a lot of practice. My buttercream is stiffer when I make them but beware, making them for too many years may give you carpal tunnel. The more you practice the better you get. I do make gum paste roses now and they are beautiful. They are a lot of work but people appreciate them a lot. I have also talked to many cake decorators and cake decorators are so helpful they give you their little tricks and they work. Good luck to you.

nickymom Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #30 of 34

Thank you all....I think it's my icing. The petals are jagged around the top edges ...I can not get my icing right....I think I may pick up a small can of the wiltons pre-made decorators icing to see if I can make roses w/ their icing...

Quote by @%username% on %date%