Dairy Free Cake

Baking By __Jamie__ Updated 23 May 2009 , 11:34pm by bananabread

__Jamie__ Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 6

I was asked about a dairy free cake today. Forgive me if I sounds dumb, but I don't know anything about this.

She specifcally asked for the following: "no lactose"...so that means eggs and cake flour are ok, right?

Everytime I search out dairy free, the recipes go the extreme and are vegan, no eggs or gluten.

Can anyone help me out here?? It seems that she just can't have milk products...so what is out there that still uses eggs and cake flour??

Thanks in advance guys!

5 replies
karateka Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:58am
post #2 of 6

My chocolate cake (from the Cake Bible) uses boiling water and cocoa instead of chocolate and milk. So if you sub the butter with some type of margarine, I imagine you have a dairy free cake.

Makes a 6in round:

42 grams cocoa powder
158 grams boiling water. combine well, cover and allow to cool.

mix 158 grams cake flour
200 grams sugar
3 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
on low speed in bowl of stand mixer until combined.

add 152 grams butter and 3/4 of the cocoa mixture from above. Mix slowly until just combined, then on med high for 1.5 minutes.

Then add 6 grams vanilla extract and 2 eggs to remaining cocoa mixture. Mix this into the mixing bowl in 2 additions, scraping down the bowl.

bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 min or until tests done.

I've never tried it with margarine, but if one can't have lactose, what else can you do? I suppose you could use shortening.....but that sounds even yuckier than margarine.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 6

Ah...thanks!! I'll keep this one in mind!

bananabread Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:50am
post #4 of 6
Miffy Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 6

Thank goodness someone else is having the same trouble I am! I have been asked the same thing. Tried one of the vegan recipes and just wasn't happy with the end result.
I believe there is an egg cake recipe that uses bananas with no dairy. Will try to find it.

If in doubt just do a chocolate sponge. They use only eggs, sugar, flour and cocoa. You could then make a buttercream icing using Nuttelex.

Good luck

bananabread Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%