Bubbles In My Buttercream

Decorating By ajjhmf Updated 26 May 2009 , 4:19pm by ccordes

ajjhmf Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 8

Okay, so my last batch of buttercream had bubbles in it. I don't mean like big gas from the cake bubbles, but little tiny air pockets in the icing itself. I was able to smooth it as much as possible, but in some places they still showed up. What made them? Did I over whip my icing. My instructor just poured the whole bag of powdered sugar into the mixer after creaming the shortening. I'm doing the same, but could that be causing it?

I've been using the Wilton buttercream recipe and I know there are better one's out there. I want to try IndyDebi's but I haven't found Dreamwhip yet. What other easy, but good crusting recipe's do you recommend?

Thanks, Jenny

7 replies
Deb_ Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 8

Hi,

Usually when there are air bubbles present it's because the icing was mixed
at too high a speed. If you're using a KA stand mixer, try not to mix above a #3 speed. It takes a little longer but it's worth it in the end result.

I personally love serious_cakes icing. The only thing that I do different then the original recipe is that I use hi-ratio shortening in place of the Crisco.

Here is a link to the icing.

HTH Deb icon_smile.gif

candice1988 Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 8

Yeah, sounds like you just mixed it a too high of speed and for too long. I always tell my students to mix just until all the ingredients are combined or else you'll get a lot of air bubbles in the icing.

TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 8

I always tell my students that once you add the powder sugar mix it on a low speed (I always use stir) and mix it until it is blended, scrap the bowl and mix for another minute or two.

Like was said about, mixing too fast or too long can add those tiny bubbles.

levi2225 Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjhmf

Okay, so my last batch of buttercream had bubbles in it. I don't mean like big gas from the cake bubbles, but little tiny air pockets in the icing itself. I was able to smooth it as much as possible, but in some places they still showed up. What made them? Did I over whip my icing. My instructor just poured the whole bag of powdered sugar into the mixer after creaming the shortening. I'm doing the same, but could that be causing it?

I've been using the Wilton buttercream recipe and I know there are better one's out there. I want to try IndyDebi's but I haven't found Dreamwhip yet. What other easy, but good crusting recipe's do you recommend?

Thanks, Jenny

I've been using the Wilton method since we don't have Dream Whip here in New Zealand (essential for IndyDebi's recipe). I also did Serious_cake's recipe (you go, girl!) once. But if you ran out of cream and corn syrup the old Wilton method sure is handy-dandy.

The previous posters are right - mixing too long and at a higher speed creates the bubbles.

What I do with the Wilton method buttercream is that I cream the butter/shortening on high (the maximum speed on your stand mixer) till light and creamy (scraping once in a while, this also gives you the opportunity to check if fats are now light enough). This is the time to beat the heck out of the fat. Add desired liquid until incorporated.

Then set mixer to your lowest speed, then dump all your sifted powdered sugar all in one go. Yep, you can do it - lots of our established posters do it. Now you have to eyeball it when it comes to adding liquid - humid temperatures do not need much liquid but thinner climates need a wee bit of liquid. I did one yesterday and I added around 2 teaspoons of water to get a medium consistency. When the buttercream does not stick that much to the K beater attachment, then you have to stop. As in stop right there.

So to summarize (i know - long post!) beat fat on high, mix all sugar in low. Hope this helps

G_Cakes Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 8

Wow lots of great tips here I was having the same problem...thanks for the heads up ladies!

cherrycakes Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:21am
post #7 of 8

levi2225 - I just have to thank you for your awesome advice! I changed the way I made my favorite buttercream based on your suggestion by beating the butter/crisco first and then adding the powdered sugar after on low speed and I have never had such smooth icing!! I was so excited that I took my KA bowl to show my husband and he just didn't quite get why I was ecstatic!! Just thought I would share!!!

ccordes Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 8

Oh I wish I had read this thread Friday before I iced the cake for my son's birthday party! I noticed the air bubbles when I was mixing the icing so I thought a higher speed on my mixer would help get them out, lol. Whoops. Oh well, now I know! Thankfully, some of the smoothing tips I've learned about on here helped cover most of them up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%