Blind Date Cakes -Anne's Fantasy Flowers

Decorating By KieslerKakes Updated 19 May 2009 , 1:03pm by crazyteach

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 21

Anyone see the cake challenge last night "Blind Date Cakes" with Anne Heap from The Pink Cake Box? I'm looking for help in making her fantasy flowers. Anyone have ideas/instructions on how to make them? Thanks Janet.

20 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 21

bump what channel is that show on i live in michigan thanks

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 21

I loved the challenge! And Anne's fantasy flowers were amazing!! I seem to remember that we made a fantasy flower in the 4th Wilton class (it may have been the 3rd). I didn't like the one I made...but her's just looked awesome. I wonder if it's the same fantasy flower?

crazyteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyteach Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 21

the show is on the food network--on Sunday at 8:00-- not always about cakes, but most of the time!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 21

oh ok thanks

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 21

I would email Anne or Cathy and ask what cutters/techniques were used... They are both are sweethearts and I'm sure you'd get a little guidance... they are a very busy shop though, so it might take a little time to get a response

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 21

Thanks Tara, I did send an email. Hopefully she will respond. I remember the fantasy flower taught in the Wilton class also. It just doesn't look the same as Anne's. Thanks everyone.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 21

That was a great challenge. I'm wondering about those blue tiles made out of sugar. I forgot her name! The girl that won - looked like she was pouring the sugar into ice cube trays. Seems like the sugar would melt the ice cube trays - any clues on this??

FYI
New episode of Cake Boss Monday 5/25 night on TLC

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/cake-boss/about-cake-boss.html

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 21

Colette Peters is teaching fantasy flowers at Cake Camp. She doesn't specify what cutters to bring - just "Wilton cutters or other simple cutters." I think fantasy flowers are just ones that don't look like a real variety.

Fantasy Flowers are in the Wilton Fondant & Gumpaste class. I'm taking it - making flowers tonight - but I doubt that they will look anything like Anne's. The Wilton method of making carnations certainly isn't what I have seen on my DVD's, but they're cute.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 21

Ninatat - they're talking about the Food Network Challenge series that comes on sunday nights. Last nights show should replay wednesday at 6:00 central time.

mbt4955 Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattigunter

Ninatat - they're talking about the Food Network Challenge series that comes on sunday nights. Last nights show should replay wednesday at 6:00 central time.

Thanks, pattigunter. I missed it last night - I was watching three hours of Survivor at 10:00 after the Desperate Housewives finale! icon_biggrin.gif I intended to get online and see when it would be on again. Now I know!

Kind of off the subject, but does anyone know if the full series of Last Cake Standing is going to be back on anytime soon? I missed all except for the first one. I've looked for it several times (Food Network and TV Guide), but haven't found it. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 21

mbt...I'm taking that class with Colette Peters at cake camp I'm looking forward to learning fantasy flowers...I'm not quite sure what a "fantasy" flower is though...missed the final cakes last night.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 21

ok...just searched for the fantasy flowers...sometimes i can be so slow...those are really pretty, well the ones i saw here in the gallery are. I can't wait to learn the technique.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:40pm
post #14 of 21

I wondered last night if the 'fantasy flowers' were the same ones from the Wilton class. Then I said, "Nah, those are much, much prettier"....then it dawned on me: that's compared to what I was trying to make in class!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 21

mbt4955 - they have challenge replays every weekday at 6pm CST. I have seen the last cake standing replay once since it aired. I DVRd the whole series - love that show! My kids get so mad at me for having all the Ace of Cakes, Challenges, any cake show I can find on the DVR. I tell them that when they're old enough to pay the cable bill they will earn the right to complain - untill then dont mess with my cake obsession!

mbt4955 Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattigunter

mbt4955 - they have challenge replays every weekday at 6pm CST.

Thanks. I have seen the final episode listed on TV Guide quite a few times, but I want to watch the earlier ones first. I haven't seen them on since the day the finale aired. Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch them then. I'm going to have to get a DVR .... I miss out on way too much!! I'll keep checking the 6 pm challenges. Maybe I'll get lucky!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #17 of 21

Can someone post a pic of one of these Fantasy Flowers? I haven't heard of them and you have all piqued my curiosity!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:17am
post #18 of 21

actually, fantasy flowers.. can be made up my anyone.. you just take differnt little cutters and make them like you want them.. i heard that colette was using the wilton cutters and making all these kinds of flowers,etc. when i first started with gumpaste flowers.. a guy in our cake club.. showed us some of his .. so they are just made up flowers .. you can take any cutter and make another flower with them.. no matter if it is the wilton cutters or any name brand cutter...

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:56am
post #19 of 21

I have one of my fantasy flowers in my pics here on CC.

Its made from individually wired petals that are dusted with snowflake lustre powder. The petals are rose petals in three different sizes.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:56am
post #20 of 21

I have one of my fantasy flowers in my pics here on CC.

Its made from individually wired petals that are dusted with snowflake lustre powder. The petals are rose petals in three different sizes.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

crazyteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyteach Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:03pm
post #21 of 21

Pattigunter-- I have the same issue, but it is with my husband-- he now has his own cable box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%