Chocolate Experts - Please Help!!

Decorating By scgriffiths Updated 19 May 2009 , 12:15am by scgriffiths

scgriffiths Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 5

I have a 4-tier wedding cake to do for Saturday. I haven't done much work with chocolate, so I'm a bit nervous. I haven't been able to work out how to scan the picture to show you, so I'll have to explain -

They are square cakes, with a chocolate wall stuck on each side, chocolate scrolls piped onto these walls, and chocolate shavings inside the walls.

So my questions are: What do I make the walls on? Do I cut out a piece of plastic to the right size, or maybe parchment paper??

How do I get the chocolate to stay runny while piping?

And how do I make the nicely rounded chocolate shavings? I've only ever managed the long ones.

Any other help and advice would be great!! Thanks thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
bashini Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there, I'm no chocolate expert, but have done few chocolate collars. What you can do is, use buttercream to ice the cakes. Then do a chocolate wrap/collar around each cake. You can use plastic or parchment to the size you want, maybe a bit taller than the actual cake, so when you put choc shavings, it won't fall. Here is a tutorial how you do that, (but in this tutorial she uses the plastic same hight as the cake).

http://www.ladycakes.com/chocolate_wrap.htm

And here is another tutorial on how you can make the choc shavings.

http://candy.about.com/od/workingwithchocolate/tp/Chocolate-Curls.htm

Sorry I'm not sure how you can keep the choc runny while you pipe the scrolls.

Evoir Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 5

Make the walls on acetate...you can get it from your cake supply shop, OR just use overhead projector transparencies - same stuff.

You need to work with small quantities of chocolate to pipe, use parchment bags with no piping tip - just snip a tiny bit off the end of your bag. So keep your bowl of choc over your saucepan of hot water (not boiling), fill a small bag 2/3 maximum full, fold top over carefully. When that one is empty chuck it out and grab a new one to continue, filling it just before use.

Big round choc shavings I do on a marble slab - thick layer of chocolate spread over a platter sized area, wait till it solidifies but before it sets hard, and use a dessertspoon to curl big round shavings (is that what you mean?)

PinkZiab Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 5

My first question has to be: Do you know how to temper chocolate? If not, you'll need to use confectioner's coating/candy melts in place of real chocolate, because right in the middle of a wedding cake is NOT the time to learn lol.

scgriffiths Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:15am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%