Fondant

Decorating By sweetqt5703 Updated 22 May 2009 , 3:58pm by MomLittr

sweetqt5703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetqt5703 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:03am
post #1 of 12

I need to do a graduation laptop cake and the customer wants to do the "screen" as a fake, I'm planning on covering a hard surface with fondant and she wants to keep it as it will be her son's graduation cake for 8th grade will the fondant expire? We were talking and thought of putting it in glad press and seal to keep out moisture and maybe putting it in a shadow box of some kind?

Also, does anyone have any good suggestions for a tasty fondant I can make and color black?

11 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 12

Michelle Foster's Fondant is wonderful. If you color it in the liquid stage it will do great.
As far as the other part I would make it in gumpaste instead of fondant. Gumpaste will last for a long time especially if you put in a dust free environment. But if you display it in the sun the color will fade.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 12

Yes, use Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant, recipe here on CC. Relatively pain free to make.

sweetqt5703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetqt5703 Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 12

I've never made my own fondant so how hard is the temperating? I really can't afford the cost of messing up and also I haven't worked with gum paste, will that have the same look as the fondant? I've tried wilton fondant and it's gross, I had thought of just ordering satin ice that I hear everyone rave about..

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 12

Gum paste is a much better option!
Store it in a dry area that will maintain the same temperature. If moisture is an issue try putting some cornstarch in the box to absorb the moisture so it doesn't warp the pc or cause any color issues.

MFF! Try the one mentioned it is yummy. It takes working it like bread dough to get it in a really great consistancy to work with.

There are youtube videos on how to make fondant. They only show MMF but the end product is similar to MFF and should be able to be kneeded out the same to give you an idea of what to expect. I made MFF and prefer it to MMF. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine.

As for the dreaded black I use americolor and have never had an issue with flavor or not getting it dark enough. If you can't find it near you it is worth ordering. Use gloves so your hands don't get messy in the beginning.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetqt5703

I've never made my own fondant so how hard is the temperating? I really can't afford the cost of messing up and also I haven't worked with gum paste, will that have the same look as the fondant? I've tried wilton fondant and it's gross, I had thought of just ordering that I hear everyone rave about..

It is not hard at all and everything but the glycerin should be accessible at the groery store. (At least for me it is) The main thing is the kneading, which isn't hard but it's a work out on the arms thumbs_up.gif Make sure that you let the liquid mixture come to room temperature which you test with your trusty dusty finger. If you don't it will take more powdered sugar. If you live in a humid environment it takes more powdered sugar. Oh and the recipe requires that you have a stand mixer.

burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 12

I had a bad experience with glad press and seal, i had made some fondant accent pieces ahead of time and covered them with press and seal, it actually has a texture to it, and left an imprint on my fondant

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 12

what can be used in place of gylcerine if you can't find it?

deb

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 12

Not sure if this has been said or not, but black WILL fade somethin fierce if she is planning on keeping a piece that is black. I have a cake I did for a competition that is black and pink and is now grey and almost white. IMO pink and black are the worst when it comes to fading. Good luck!

MomLittr Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:50am
post #10 of 12

Last night I just made Michele Foster's (updated) fondant - so easy to do. It calls for 3-1/2 lbs of powdered sugar.....which I used all of and it still feels like it could use more (is this right?). So far it weighs 5-1/2 lbs and will probably go to 6 lbs for the batch once I am done kneading in more sugar. As far as economic, figured it took less than $10 to make this - a good deal in my eyes! Will let you all know how I make out when I have to roll it out tomorrow.

deb

cakeandpartygirl Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

what can be used in place of gylcerine if you can't find it?

deb

It is absolutely a necessary ingredient. You should be able to find it at michael's, hobby lobby or stores like those. Also I have heard that a pharmacy may carry it.

MomLittr Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 12

UPDATE - last nite put the topsy-turvy cake together (in my photos). Had a little trouble with the fondant, don't know what I did wrong. Used powdered sugar to keep it from sticking, however it ended up looking a bit dry and cracking. Should I have used shortening? Tasted good though. I think I will go back to Toba's recipe as I think I did better with that.

deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%