Another Request For Help But A First From Me!

Decorating By killerwhalegirl Updated 18 May 2009 , 11:20pm by kakeladi

killerwhalegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
killerwhalegirl Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:45am
post #1 of 6

I just got a request for a cake today that has me a bit stumped. They want a strawberry shortcake flavor but I have to be able to use bc for the design (mainly because that is where my experience lies and not enough time to really experiment else where). Could I use yellow or butter cake in place of the shortcake? Or should I do some type of sponge cake? Typical cake muggles, I don't think they knew what they were really asking for.

I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
D

5 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 6

Welocme to CC!!
Yes you can use a yellow or sponge cake instead of the shortbread.
You can aAdd some strawberry filling from the sleeves sold at cake stores not real strawberries, to your buttercream. (using real strawberries will produce extra juice in your buttercream making it break down and all sorts of problems from draing juice from your cake to buldging in the center). Then just decorate as you wish.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 6

I just made a strawberry cake for my daughters sweet 16. It turned out FABULOUS. "Strawberry Cream Cake" Here's the recipe:
1bx white cake mix
6 oz strawberry yogart
3/4 c water
1/3c veg oil
3 egg whites
mix all ingredients together bake at 350 for 25-30min. I added just a bit of strawberry extract to my icing. I hope this helps! Good luck thumbs_up.gif

kyoung24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyoung24 Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 6

I just made on last week. I used the Paula Deen recipe. This can be found at pauladeen .com (without the space) or foodnetwork .com.
It was delicious. I used a Crusting Cream Cheese Icing, by Kathy Finholt, found on here in the recipe section. It was great together, but would be just as good whith buttercream. the cake really did taste like a shortcake!

killerwhalegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
killerwhalegirl Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately I don't know where to get the sleeves where I am located. I think I got it figured out and of course the lady had definite opinions of her own. It's due the same time as another one so this is going to be fun!

Thanks again.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 6

For filling - in stead of the sleeved filling - use a good quality jam; seedless if you can find it. OR you can use fzn berries cooked w/a bit of water and cornstarch to thicken it up (to jam consistency).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%