Nicholas Lodge Summer Wedding Cake Classes

Decorating By cakefan18 Updated 19 May 2009 , 3:02pm by cakefan18

cakefan18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan18 Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:29am
post #1 of 11

Hey guys, if I have a choice to attend Nicholas lodge's Gumpaste flowers class and Summer wedding cake class, which do you think is the best bet? Please advise. Thanks.

10 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:44am
post #2 of 11

What do each of them offer? Which would you be more likely to use later on?

cakefan18 Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 11

The gumpaste flowers class is a 2day class and about all the flowers made with gumpaste and tips on bridal sprays and wiring etc.

The wedding cakes class is a 5 day class which includes many techniques in decorating a wedding cake and we can bring a fully decorated 3 tier wedding cake home.

Wedding cakes class costs doube the gumpaste flowers class. Both would be useful to me..that's why not able to choose. I wanted to see if any of the members have attended these classes and could recommend one more than the other.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 11

I went to the summer wedding cake class 2 years ago and it was sooo worth it. Not only did he teach wedding cake but also we made a gumpaste vase with gumpaste roses and assorted other flowers. I felt like I got the best of both. It was a 5 day class, 8 hrs a day with lunch included, (not just sandwiches). And every afternoon there was a cookie break. (homemade). I really felt like I got my money's worth. Would I do it again? In a heart beat. He share a lot of his own personal recipes also.

cakefan18 Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:08am
post #5 of 11

Hey Leepat, thanks so much for answering. That's well needed assurance right now. I am not a professional baker. I took all four wilton classes at Michaels and fell in love with cake decorating. I just don't want to stop here. Want to learn more and enhance the skills. But I am not considering a business as yet. That's the reason why I am not very sure on spending that much on the class but I believe me I soo want to go. I might take it most probably icon_smile.gif

What did you do with the finished product, the wedding cake which you brought home?

leepat Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:10am
post #6 of 11

I still have it. It is sitting in my shop.

cshareef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cshareef Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:57am
post #7 of 11

I would also like to attend the five day summer wedding cake class. I went on the Nicholas Lodge web page and couldn't fine the info. Please post info if you have it.

Thanks

leepat Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:51am
post #8 of 11

Look under his list of classes for May and you will find the info you want.

cakefan18 Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 11

Oh, Leepat! you have a shop!! That's cool. I am a newbie, I don't about a lot of peoople here and what they do but you all are experts and have a lot of experience.

Cshareef, go to nicholaslodge.com and see under classes. You can find a 2008 and 2009 schedule. Look under May 2009. If it doesn't work, I can send you a direct link too.

deli1777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deli1777 Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leepat

I went to the summer wedding cake class 2 years ago and it was sooo worth it. Not only did he teach wedding cake but also we made a gumpaste vase with gumpaste roses and assorted other flowers. I felt like I got the best of both. It was a 5 day class, 8 hrs a day with lunch included, (not just sandwiches). And every afternoon there was a cookie break. (homemade). I really felt like I got my money's worth. Would I do it again? In a heart beat. He share a lot of his own personal recipes also.

I agree completely with leepat!
I do not currently have a shop and have my finished cake in my built in china cabinet. When I did have a shop, it was on a display shelf.
The wedding cake class was invaluable - I learned so much in a very short time. Worth every penny and you learn a lot of gumpaste techniques too. I feel you certainly get more bang for your buck by taking the 5 day class.

cakefan18 Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 11

Oh, so how long can you store the cake that way? May be I am asking a dumb question here, won't it get spoiled? My sis's wedding is in August, can I store the flowers to decorate on her wedding cake?

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I went ahead and registered for the class. Hope I did the right thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%